Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Dear all,

I think that this sentence is a very contradictory one. After the chef cut out the meat of the avocado.. he says:

"AT THIS VERY MOMENT, AN ENZYME CALLED PHENOLOXIDASE IS INTRODUCING ANOTHER CHEMICAL INSIDE THE FLESH, A VALUABLE ANTIOXIDANT IN THE PHENOL FAMILY TO OXYGEN. THE OXIDATION OF THE PHENOLS WILL RESULT IN A VERY RAPID BROWNING.

there is an enzyme called "phenoloxidase" that is , as far as I understand, is inside the avocado meat. That enzyme, after cutting the avocado, is now producing another chemical which is antioxidant (what is the meaninf of "in the phenol family to oxygen"?) and how it's antioxidant and then will oxidate causing the meat to brown?

:-:)-?

Last edited:

e2e4

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Serbo-Croatian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Bosnia Herzegovina
/A learner/

"AT THIS VERY MOMENT, AN ENZYME CALLED PHENOLOXIDASE IS INTRODUCING ANOTHER CHEMICAL INSIDE THE FLESH, A VALUABLE ANTIOXIDANT IN THE PHENOL FAMILY, TO OXYGEN. THE OXIDATION OF THE PHENOLS WILL RESULT IN A VERY RAPID BROWNING.

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
(what is the meaning of "in the phenol family to oxygen"?)

You cannot consider these six words in isolation. The bare sentence would be 'An enzyme is introducing another chemical to oxygen.'

Avocados have flesh - not meat.

I can't answer your second question.

Rover

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
You cannot consider these six words in isolation. The bare sentence would be 'An enzyme is introducing another chemical to oxygen.'

Avocados have flesh - not meat.

I can't answer your second question.

Rover

That would mean "introducing an antioxidant chemical to oxygen" What does that mean?
Because I got, at first, that the enzyme will introduce an substance to oxyxen (meaning that it will be oxidated) but then he said that it's anti oxidant!

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That would mean "introducing an antioxidant chemical to oxygen" What does that mean?
Because I got, at first, that the enzyme will introduce an substance to oxyxen (meaning that it will be oxidated) but then he said that it's anti oxidant!

When you cut it open, it is exposed to the air. It reacts with the oxygen in the air. That is how it is "introduced to oxygen."

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
When you cut it open, it is exposed to the air. It reacts with the oxygen in the air. That is how it is "introduced to oxygen."

it makes some sense now. Still How an antioxidant, when exposed to air, gets oxidated??!!!

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sorry, I'm not a chemist.

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Sorry, I'm not a chemist.

Thanks. That's what I want. I mean that this is the meaning of the sentence.. I got it right, even if it's not logical, right??? I mean coz you are a native speaker, do you get it as I get it regardless of the explanation?? If so, I will translate it as it's regardless the meaning coz I'm not chemist, too! What do you think?

Thanks.

e2e4

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Serbo-Croatian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Bosnia Herzegovina
Thanks. That's what I want. I mean that this is the meaning of the sentence.. I got it right, even if it's not logical, right??? I mean coz you are a native speaker, do you get it as I get it regardless of the explanation?? If so, I will translate it as it's regardless the meaning coz I'm not chemist, too! What do you think?

Thanks.

Many organic and non-organic substances oxidise when exposed to air. They enter into a combination with oxygen or become converted into an oxide.

Ferrum oxidizes easily

Fe + O2 ---->FeO2

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Many organic and non-organic substances oxidise when exposed to air. They enter into a combination with oxygen or become converted into an oxide.

Ferrum oxidizes easily

Fe + O2 ---->FeO2

Then, can an antioxidant substanse oxidizes when exposed to air? (I think that's what he said. but it doesn't make sense to me!):-|

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
... I will translate it as it is regardless of the meaning because I'm not chemist, either! What do you think?

Thanks.

I agree with you. You are a translator - not a copy-editor.

Rover

e2e4

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Serbo-Croatian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Bosnia Herzegovina
/A learner/

"AT THIS VERY MOMENT,
AN ENZYME CALLED PHENOLOXIDASE IS INTRODUCING ANOTHER CHEMICAL INSIDE THE FLESH, A VALUABLE ANTIOXIDANT IN THE PHENOL FAMILY, TO OXYGEN. THE OXIDATION OF THE PHENOLS WILL RESULT IN A VERY RAPID BROWNING.

... I will translate it as it is regardless of the meaning because I'm not a chemist, either! What do you think? Do wee need "a" with the chemist?

The phenoloxidases are widely spread in fruit. As a catalisator they are involved in many biological processes. They initiate synthesis of melanin which is, according to chemists, pretty much responsible for browning the fruit's mesocarp when exposed to oxygen.
Maybe he was thinking of melanin when he said that the phenoloxidase introduced another chemical. Melanin has some antioxidant properties and could be that valuable antioxidant in the phenol family.

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
/A learner/

"AT THIS VERY MOMENT, AN ENZYME CALLED PHENOLOXIDASE IS INTRODUCING ANOTHER CHEMICAL INSIDE THE FLESH, A VALUABLE ANTIOXIDANT IN THE PHENOL FAMILY, TO OXYGEN. THE OXIDATION OF THE PHENOLS WILL RESULT IN A VERY RAPID BROWNING.

... I will translate it as it is regardless of the meaning because I'm not a chemist, either! What do you think? Do wee need "a" with the chemist?

The phenoloxidases are widely spread in fruit. As a catalisator they are involved in many biological processes. They initiate synthesis of melanin which is, according to chemists, pretty much responsible for browning the fruit's mesocarp when exposed to oxygen.
Maybe he was thinking of melanin when he said that the phenoloxidase introduced another chemical. Melanin has some antioxidant properties and could be that valuable antioxidant in the phenol family.

That's what I need to understand. If melanin has some antioxidant properties, how can it be responsible for browning the fruit (It's supposed to protect it from that)!
Thanks a lot for trying to help. but I can't lie and say that i fully understand unless I feel that I have really got it. :roll:

e2e4

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Serbo-Croatian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Bosnia Herzegovina
/A learner/:twisted:

That's what I need to understand. If melanin has some antioxidant properties, how can it be responsible for browning the fruit (It's supposed to protect it from that)!
Thanks a lot for trying to help. but I can't lie and say that i fully understand unless I feel that I have really got it. :roll:
Melanin doesn't initiate browning of the mesocarp if not exposed to oxygen by itself and does when exposed.
Under the different conditions for melanin, melanin reacts different.

Think of this

Someone wants to poison people in a country in order to decrease the population.
That someone, develop different kinds of genetically modified food.
That someone, produce a vaccine that contains the enzymes needed to introduce a poison when get into chemical reaction with the particular genetically modified food, mentioned.
Those who haven't gotten the vaccine can eat the food but some that got vaccine will die.

We are already given two types of mushroom by someone, aren't we.
Those guys, mentioned above, like to feel the same way and they think that they have the right to do it because they know how to do it.

Last edited:

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
yes. So that antioxidant chemical substance when the fruit is exposed to oxygen, though it's antioxidant, it will cause browning. I got it

(but then why in the first place, it's antioxidant. Antioxidant is supposed to be exposed to oxygen but STILL... no browning.

I really really like your example, that's why I asked my question because I think may I missed something because actually that's what's in my head. SO PLEASE, correct anything wrong in my very first sentence that I ended wit "I got it" may be I got wrong.

Thanks a lot.:roll:

Jaskin

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
hi
Please note I'm not a teacher nor a native speaker nor a chemist, ;-)

An antioxidant is a molecule capable of slowing or preventing the oxidation of other molecules.

It doesn't mean that the antioxidant doesn't oxidise itself, in fact they slowing or preventing the oxidation of other molecules by being oxidized themselves.

Cheers

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.