• Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Syria
      • Current Location:
      • Lebanon

help please

Hello everyone,
    I need your help to clarify the following for me

Part one- I have trouble using (is/has/have/had/done/did)

for example

she has had problems with her husband but they are going well now

could it be written as

she had problems with .......

(she didn't reply) how is it different from (she hadn't/hasn't) replied??

Part two- the (IS and ARE) essential after verbs?

for example they having fun, doesn't sound correct or it is more correct to say they're having fun?

Part three- i'm confused with some sentences

1- i'm planning on going on a trip <<< i plane to go on a trip

2-letís start on the lesson<<< let's start the lesson

those type of things that i'm confused about and prevent me to continue on talking, I stuck and stop and start to think about each sentence I say so if you can give me some example of part one and two and explain to me some rules I would appreciate it

thank you very much

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: help please

[1a] She has had problems with her husband but they are going well now doing fine now. <talking about the event from then, in the past, to now, the present time. The event is stretched out over time.>

[1b] She had problems, but she is doing fine now. <talking about a fact>

[1c] I emailed her but she didn't reply. <fact>
    [1d] I have emailed her but she hasn't replied (yet). <talking about the event from then to now>

[2a] They having fun.

• "having" cannot stand alone as a verb. It needs a helper. Forms of "To Be" function as helping verbs, like this,
    [2b] They are having fun.

[3a] I'm planning on going. <talk about the future>
    [3b] I plan on going. <fact>

[3c] I plan to go. <fact>
    [3d] I'm planning to go. <talk about the future>

[3e] Letís start (e.g., working) on the lesson.
    [3d] Let's start the lesson.

Those are the types of things
    that i'm confused about that confuse me and prevent me to from continue on talking. I get stuck and stop and start to think about each sentence I say. So, if you can give me some examples of part one and two and explain to me some the rules to me I would appreciate it.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Syria
      • Current Location:
      • Lebanon

Quote Originally Posted by lauralie2 View Post
    [1a] She has had problems with her husband but they are going well now doing fine now. <talking about the event from then, in the past, to now, the present time. The event is stretched out over time.>

so do you mean that "going well" isn't right or you just mean that "doing fine" sounds more appropriate?

[1b] She had problems, but she is doing fine now. <talking about a fact>

[1c] I emailed her but she didn't reply. <fact>
    [1d] I have emailed her but she hasn't replied (yet). <talking about the event from then to now>

[2a] They having fun.

• "having" cannot stand alone as a verb. It needs a helper. Forms of "To Be" function as helping verbs, like this,
    so after eacher verb there has to be a "helper"
    [2b] They are having fun.

[3a] I'm planning on going. <talk about the future>
    [3b] I plan on going. <fact>

so, I plan on going next year to USA :) <<< isn't correct?
    it is fact but "next year" make future so I have to incorporate "ing" into the word. (this is another issue i'm not sure if I should say "in the world" or "into the word")

[3c] I plan to go. <fact>
    so, 3c and 3b are both correct even though there isn't "on" after planning/plan?
    [3d] I'm planning to go. <talk about the future>

[3e] Letís start (e.g., working) on the lesson.
    that one is for sure correct but how is it differ from the 3d? does this sentence sound less formal?
    [3d] Let's start the lesson.

Those are the types of things
    that i'm confused about that confuse me and prevent me to from continue on talking. I get stuck and stop and start to think about each sentence I say. So, if you can give me some examples of part one and two and explain to me some the rules to me I would appreciate it.
    Thank you very much for giving me your time to look up and correct the stuff for me.

one more thing , is it more correct to say (I have explained to her I can't make it to the party tonight, or I explained to her I can't make it to the party tonight)? why and what's the difference between them

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Syria
      • Current Location:
      • Lebanon

Quote Originally Posted by faty View Post
    Thank you very much for giving me your time to look up and correct the stuff for me.

one more thing , is it more correct to say (I have explained to her I can't make it to the party tonight, or I explained to her I can't make it to the party tonight)? why and what's the difference between them
    correction,

(is/are) should be used after adj and nouns, right?

plz I need details as how and when to use them

Thanx

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Syria
      • Current Location:
      • Lebanon

correction,

(is/are) should be used after adj and nouns, right?

plz I need details as how and when to use them

Thanx

??????????????

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

Hi faty

Re: [1a] In my dialect, "going well" doesn't sound right in that context; "doing fine" sounds better.

Re: [2a] Words that end in "-ing" cannot function as verbs, which makes "They having fun" ungrammatical. To make it grammatical, a verb is needed: "They are having fun." The verb "are" is called a 'helping verb' because it helps the word "having" become a verb. So, and to answer you question, an "-ing" word needs a verb before it:

• I am having fun.
    • You are having fun.
    • She is having fun.

Re: "I plan on going to the USA next month."

Re: "in the world", "into the world"

• He is the best student in the world.

• I have explained it to her. <recent event>
    • I explained it to her. <fact>

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Syria
      • Current Location:
      • Lebanon

Thank you very much for your help and explanation, I really appreciate it :)

Kind regards,
    Faty

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Syria
      • Current Location:
      • Lebanon

Quote Originally Posted by lauralie2 View Post
    Hi faty

Re: [1a] In my dialect, "going well" doesn't sound right in that context; "doing fine" sounds better.

Re: [2a] Words that end in "-ing" cannot function as verbs, which makes "They having fun" ungrammatical. To make it grammatical, a verb is needed: "They are having fun." The verb "are" is called a 'helping verb' because it helps the word "having" become a verb. So, and to answer you question, an "-ing" word needs a verb before it:

another query that I appriacite an answer to it. you said "verb is needed", I was talking to a friend yesterday and he said "she needed me to ...." so is that a grammatical sentence? there is no is in it but sounds right to me! what do you think. my interpretation is: the "needed" in your phrase is a verb word, but the "needed" in his phrase is functioned as a noun, so no verb needed?! rightoo???

I am having fun.
    • You are having fun.
    • She is having fun.

Re: "I plan on going to the USA next month."

Re: "in the world", "into the world"

• He is the best student in the world.
    • I have explained it to her. <recent event>
    • I explained it to her. <fact>
    Sorry for the hassle but I'm a learner so please bear with me . I liked first time when you corrected my writing as I found it veryhelpful method to learn from. Also, what do you think about my English, are you having any trouble understanding me?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

The subjects are underlined:

[1] Sam needed Mary. <active voice>
    [2] A verb is needed. <passive voice>

In [1], the verb is "needed". It's in the simple past. In [2], the verb is "is", and "needed" is a past participle. Words that look like verbs and follow BE and HAS are called participles. They are called that because they are 'part' of the verb; they are not the main or tense carrying verb.

In "is needed", the verb "is" carries the tense, notably present tense. The participle "needed" ends in -ed, a suffix similar to the past simple suffix -ed, which is why "needed" is called a past participle, as opposed to a present participle, "needing".

BE + -ed (i.e., "is needed") is a passive voice verb from. That's when the object of the verb becomes the subject of the verb and the verb changes to accommodate the structural or positional switch, like this,

• Sam needed Mary. <active voice>
    • Mary is needed (by Sam). <passive voice>

In passive voice, "Sam" remains the semantic subject, "Mary" remains the semantic object, but structurally, they switch places. Speakers do this, use passive voice, to emphasize the object (Mary) and de-emphasize the subject (Sam).

Sorry for the hassle but I'm a learner so please bear with me . I liked first time when you corrected my writing as I found it veryhelpful method to learn from. Also, what do you think about my English, are you having any trouble understanding me?
    I am not having trouble understanding your English, but, then again, I have been teaching students of ESOL for more than 20 years, and so it is probably a little easier for me to understand a given learner's English more so than say a person who hasn't had as much opportunity and exposure as I have had.

Here's another query that I would appreciate an answer to. You said, "a verb is needed", and when I was talking to a friend yesterday and he said "she needed me to ....", I wondered, "Is it grammatical?"so is that a grammatical sentence? There is no "is" in it but it sounds right to me! What do you think? My interpretation is: the "needed" in your phrase sentence is a verb word, butthe and "needed" in his phrase sentence is functioned functioning as a noun, so no verb needed. Am I right? (Nope. "needed" functions as a verb in his sentence and as a past participle in my sentence.)

I liked it the first time when you corrected my writing as I found it a very helpful method to learn from. Also, what do you think about my English? Are you having any trouble understanding me?