Results 1 to 9 of 9
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #1

    Where do you put the stress "hotel"

    Merriam-Webster's dictionary gives two possibilities. You may put the stress on both the first or the second syllable, whereas a Cambbridge dictionary gives only one where the stress goes on the second syllable. Where do native speakers put the stress?

  1. riquecohen's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Aug 2010
    • Posts: 6,002
    #2

    Re: Where do you put the stress "hotel"

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    Merriam-Webster's dictionary gives two possibilities. You may put the stress on both the first or the second syllable, whereas a Cambbridge dictionary gives only one where the stress goes on the second syllable. Where do native speakers put the stress?
    I put the stress on the second syllable. I have heard southern (US) speakers put the stress on the first.

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,627
    #3

    Re: Where do you put the stress "hotel"

    Quote Originally Posted by riquecohen View Post
    I put the stress on the second syllable. I have heard southern (US) speakers put the stress on the first.
    I put the stress on the second syllable too.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #4

    Re: Where do you put the stress "hotel"

    Quote Originally Posted by riquecohen View Post
    I put the stress on the second syllable. I have heard southern (US) speakers put the stress on the first.
    Is it only southeners who put the stress on the first syllable? It doesn't give amy regional definition.

  3. lauralie2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 774
    #5

    Re: Where do you put the stress "hotel"

    Second syllable for me too.

    ________________________
    Some southern speakers stress the first syllable of words that have a CVCVC pattern, like "hotel":

    HOtel
    POlice
    DEtroit
    JUly

    Source [p131]

  4. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #6

    Re: Where do you put the stress "hotel"

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    I put the stress on the second syllable too.
    Me too, when it's function is as a noun: 'You'll be staying in a[n - that's a whole nother question ] hoTEL.'

    But when it's used with an adjectival function (what was called, in former times, a 'noun in apposition'), I put the stress on the first syllable: 'He's doing a course in HOtel management.'

    b

  5. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,627
    #7

    Re: Where do you put the stress "hotel"

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    Me too, when it's function is as a noun: 'You'll be staying in a[n - that's a whole nother question ] hoTEL.'

    But when it's used with an adjectival function (what was called, in former times, a 'noun in apposition'), I put the stress on the first syllable: 'He's doing a course in HOtel management.'

    b
    Agreed. As for the "nother question" I say "AN-oTEL".


    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 1
    #8

    Re: Where do you put the stress "hotel"

    When you become a guest in a hotel, you need to recognize that you are moving into a temporary communal living situation. Of course, you have your private room, but you are sill under one roof with others. You share some of the hotel's features with many other people. Therefore, the hotel has set up a few reasonable guidelines to maintain a cordial atmosphere and to avert utter confusion.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #9

    Re: Where do you put the stress "hotel"

    Quote Originally Posted by HotelTravel View Post
    When you become a guest in a hotel, you need to recognize that you are moving into a temporary communal living situation. Of course, you have your private room, but you are sill under one roof with others. You share some of the hotel's features with many other people. Therefore, the hotel has set up a few reasonable guidelines to maintain a cordial atmosphere and to avert utter confusion.
    Well, we were talking about a slightly different thing What syllable do people put the stress on?!

Similar Threads

  1. stress "thirteen - nineteen" and "hotel"
    By ph2004 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-Mar-2010, 13:52
  2. [Vocabulary] How to put the word stress on "Sherlock Holmes"?
    By Williamyh in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-Jan-2010, 06:52
  3. [Essay] "how to release stress",please give some corrections!
    By vananh90 in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-Nov-2009, 19:27
  4. [Essay] Please give me some comments about my "stress" essay!!!
    By Q.trang in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-Sep-2009, 08:36
  5. ?"frog-pond" and " put the bottom rail on top
    By japanjapan in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-Apr-2004, 15:32

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •