Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Finnish
      • Home Country:
      • Finland
      • Current Location:
      • Finland

    • Join Date: Dec 2008
    • Posts: 9
    #1

    Telling Your Age

    Hello.

    What are the ways to give information about your age, if you don't want to reveal how old you exactly are.

  2. Munch's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Aug 2010
    • Posts: 479
    #2

    Re: Telling Your Age

    Quote Originally Posted by veka View Post
    Hello.

    What are the ways to give information about your age, if you don't want to reveal how old you exactly are.
    I am in my teens/thirties/twenties/thirties/etc

    More information: I am in my late/mid/early twenties/thirties/etc

    I am a baby boomer/generation X/etc

    I am not so old.
    I am a spring chicken.
    There are dozens more!

  3. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #3

    Re: Telling Your Age

    Quote Originally Posted by Munch View Post
    I am in my teens/thirties/twenties/thirties/etc

    More information: I am in my late/mid/early twenties/thirties/etc

    I am a baby boomer/generation X/etc

    I am not so old.
    I am a spring chicken.
    There are dozens more!
    A useful collection of suggestions there, but in my dialect we wouldn't use the one I underlined. I know this only in a negative form, talking about someone else, usually a woman(?):

    She still goes out mountain climbing every weekend, and she's no spring chicken.

  4. Munch's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Aug 2010
    • Posts: 479
    #4

    Re: Telling Your Age

    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    A useful collection of suggestions there, but in my dialect we wouldn't use the one I underlined. I know this only in a negative form, talking about someone else, usually a woman(?):

    She still goes out mountain climbing every weekend, and she's no spring chicken.
    Yes, thanks, you are right - I just chose the first phrase that came to mind. Although I may once have jokingly said, "I am a spring chicken", I just was being silly!

  5. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #5

    Re: Telling Your Age

    You can also say 'S/he has been round the block a [good] few times' or just '...been around a while'. Also '...seen the wrong side of Nty'; 'in his prime', 'past his prime'... There are loads.

    b

  6. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,218
    #6

    Re: Telling Your Age

    I have a friend who routinely answers "I am older than I was yesterday and younger than I hope to be tomorrow."
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

Similar Threads

  1. [Idiom] think to tell / think of telling
    By yuriya in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 31-May-2010, 06:29
  2. It's no use us telling....
    By Adam Cruge in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 21-May-2010, 09:42
  3. could, telling, was
    By jiang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15-Mar-2009, 11:09
  4. I was in for another telling-off.
    By piousoul in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-Feb-2007, 17:04
  5. The most telling
    By meliss in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-Nov-2006, 09:20

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •