Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
"I'd like to know what she's like in her personal/private life."

Is there a difference between "personal" and "private" in this particular example?

Thanks!

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Is there a difference between "personal" and "private" in this particular example?

Thanks!

As quoted, not really.

jerry081958

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Thanks!

The two words are basically the same. There is perhaps only a slight shade of difference, in my opinion.

Private life could be talking about aspects of her life that very few or no one else knows about. A person's private life would include thoughts, habits, and activities that almost no one else knows about.

Personal life could be something that many more people would be aware of. This is not so restrictive, I think. A person's personal life might include more public aspects of their life: where they live, where they go out to eat, hobbies, what general or professional organizations they are active in, etc.

For example, an employer doing an interview might ask some questions about a candidates 'personal life'.

Such as:

Do you have any hobbies?
Are you active in any community organizations?
How do you like to spend your free time?

These are elements of a person's 'personal life'.

But, for most all employers, they would never ask (legally) about a person's 'private life'. (In the US, there are restrictions about what kind of questions employers can ask about a person's private life.)

Employers couldn't (legally) ask questions about the candidate that relate to:

- Race
- Sexual matters
- Sexual orientation
- Political activities
- Religious beliefs

I welcome comments.

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
The two words are basically the same. There is perhaps only a slight shade of difference, in my opinion.

Private life could be talking about aspects of her life that very few or no one else knows about. A person's private life would include thoughts, habits, and activities that almost no one else knows about.

Personal life could be something that many more people would be aware of. This is not so restrictive, I think. A person's personal life might include more public aspects of their life: where they live, where they go out to eat, hobbies, what general or professional organizations they are active in, etc.

For example, an employer doing an interview might ask some questions about a candidates 'personal life'.

Such as:

Do you have any hobbies?
Are you active in any community organizations?
How do you like to spend your free time?

These are elements of a person's 'personal life'.

But, for most all employers, they would never ask (legally) about a person's 'private life'. (In the US, there are restrictions about what kind of questions employers can ask about a person's private life.)

Employers couldn't (legally) ask questions about the candidate that relate to:

- Race
- Sexual matters
- Sexual orientation
- Political activities
- Religious beliefs

I welcome comments.

Thank you for your lengthy, and very informative, reply.

I have a question that's unrelated to my initial question but pertains to what you wrote.

"(In the US, there are restrictions about what kind of questions employers can ask about a person's private life.)

Employers couldn't (legally) ask questions ...."

Would it be correct to replace "can" with "may" and "couldn't" with "wouldn't be allowed to"? It seems you're talking about permission here, but I may very well be wrong.

Thanks once again!

Status
Not open for further replies.