Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Would it be correct to say "remote Chinese philosophers"? As if they were from the past?

Munch

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Japan
Would it be correct to say "remote Chinese philosophers"? As if they were from the past?

No, it makes them sound like they are on a distant mountain top, or that they can be controlled from a distance like a TV!

You could say “ancient Chinese philosophers”.

If you want to be more specific, you could say “Han Dynasty philosophers” or “Chinese philosophers of the Imperial Era”, for example.

Last edited:

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
No, it makes them sound like they are on a distant mountain top, or that they can be controlled from a distance like a TV!

You could say “ancient Chinese philosophers”.

If you want to be more specific, you could say “Han Dynasty philosophers” or “Chinese philosophers of the Imperial Era”, for example.

Here is what I've found in a dictionary "remote-far away in space or time;a remote ancestor (someone related to you, who lived a long time ago)? Is this a correct defenition?

Last edited:

Munch

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Japan
Here is what I found in a dictionary "remote-far away in space or time;a remote ancestor (someone related to you, who lived a long time ago)? Is this a correct definition?

Yes, it is a fairly good definition. But it doesn't mean you can always use "remote" that way. A dictionary can't fully describe how to use a word in every situation. You just have to be careful and learn through experience, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.