Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. Newbie
    Student or Learner

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 1
    #1

    Is 'due to ~ing' used?

    Hello everybody~
    I have a question.
    I know <due to + noun = because of + noun = owing to + noun >
    but I don't know if <due to ~ing / because of ~ing / owing to ~ing> can be used.

    If they can be used, please tell me example sentences.
    Thank you for your help.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 2,121
    #2

    Exclamation Re: Is 'due to ~ing' used?

    Quote Originally Posted by sun99 View Post
    Hello everybody~
    I have a question.
    I know <due to + noun = because of + noun = owing to + noun >
    but I don't know if <due to ~ing / because of ~ing / owing to ~ing> can be used.

    If they can be used, please tell me example sentences.
    Thank you for your help.
    You can use ing form of a verb as gerund, as:

    I took some medicine yesterday due to having excessive cold.
    A ship is able to float on water due to having a lower density than the density of the water.
    My body is getting tan due to swimming

  2. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #3

    Re: Is 'due to ~ing' used?

    Quote Originally Posted by sarat_106 View Post
    You can use ing form of a verb as gerund, as:

    1. I took some medicine yesterday due to having excessive cold.
    2. A ship is able to float on water due to having a lower density than the density of the water.
    3. My body is getting tan due to swimming
    1. having excessive cold is not acceptable BrE
    2. If I used a gerund here, which is unlikely, I would put its in front of it.
    3. My body is getting tan is not BrE.

    Even with some re-writing, all three seem fairly unacceptable to me. At the time of writing this, I cannot think of a single example in which due to + gerund sounds natural.

  3. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,629
    #4

    Re: Is 'due to ~ing' used?

    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    1. having excessive cold is not acceptable BrE
    2. If I used a gerund here, which is unlikely, I would put its in front of it.
    3. My body is getting tan is not BrE.

    Even with some re-writing, all three seem fairly unacceptable to me. At the time of writing this, I cannot think of a single example in which due to + gerund sounds natural.
    This construction is widely used in Indian English, which is a recognised form of the language. I will say that in #2 "its having" would be better, and #3 should be "getting tanned".

  4. Munch's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Aug 2010
    • Posts: 479
    #5

    Re: Is 'due to ~ing' used?

    Some phrases I found:

    Tiredness due to walking
    Fired from many jobs due to talking too much
    Inability to ejaculate due to wanking excessively
    Garbage problem due to killing too many pigs

    They don't seem entirely unnatural to me.

  5. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #6

    Re: Is 'due to ~ing' used?

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    This construction is widely used in Indian English, which is a recognised form of the language. I will say that in #2 "its having" would be better, and #3 should be "getting tanned".
    Thank you for that. I had a suspicion it might be so, which is why I was careful to say 'not acceptable BrE'.

    I know little about Indian English which is, I agree, a recognised form of the language. You say, "This construction is widely used in Indian English." Do you mean that it is considered 'correct' by, for example, people (in India) marking examination papers in English, or just that it is widely used on the streets?

  6. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,629
    #7

    Re: Is 'due to ~ing' used?

    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    Thank you for that. I had a suspicion it might be so, which is why I was careful to say 'not acceptable BrE'.

    I know little about Indian English which is, I agree, a recognised form of the language. You say, "This construction is widely used in Indian English." Do you mean that it is considered 'correct' by, for example, people (in India) marking examination papers in English, or just that it is widely used on the streets?
    It's generally considered correct.

Similar Threads

  1. because of/due to
    By sergtab in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 15-Feb-2010, 21:49
  2. when+ ing / whilst + ing
    By Ochinoam in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 31-Jul-2009, 14:42
  3. Due to
    By daddyjohn in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 15-Nov-2008, 20:43
  4. due in?
    By enydia in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22-Oct-2008, 12:46
  5. verbs with-ing and without-ing
    By diplomacy in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-Apr-2007, 03:04

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •