• Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

for; as with

Dear teachers,

I have two questions to ask:

No.1
    The court found more than 10 million yuan worth of cash for which he could not explain the sources.

Here "for" collocates with "sources". Is that right? But I can't find the collocation in my dictionary. The collocation I could find is "source of". In that case here it should be "..of which" instead of "for which". Is that right?

No.2
    Eye contact is important in relationships because it serves to show intimacy. As with facial expressions, there are no specific rules concerning eye behavior.
    Could you please explain if "as with" a phrase? I can't find it in my dictionary. Is it possible it should be "as for"?

Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you in advance.

Jiang

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: for; as with

Quote Originally Posted by jiang View Post
    Dear teachers,

I have two questions to ask:

No.1
    The court found more than 10 million yuan worth of cash for which he could not explain the sources.

Here "for" collocates with "sources". Is that right? But I can't find the collocation in my dictionary. The collocation I could find is "source of". In that case here it should be "..of which" instead of "for which". Is that right?
    You are right. The mistake (which would probably go unnoticed by many native speakers) is probably caused by:

1. the writer's desire to avoid ending a sentence with a preposition, which led him/her to construct a rather stilted sentence;
    2. his/her half-remembrance that 'for' is the preposition used with the noun 'explanation'.

The mistake would probably not have been made if a less formal (3) or more formal (4) construction had been used:

3. ... cash which he could not explain the sources of.
    4. ... cash for the sources of which he could not offer an explanation

No.2
    Eye contact is important in relationships because it serves to show intimacy. As with facial expressions, there are no specific rules concerning eye behavior.
    Could you please explain if "as with" a phrase? I can't find it in my dictionary. Is it possible it should be "as for"? Unlikely, because 'as for' usually means something similar to 'regarding'. 'As with' means here: 'as in the situation with'.
    fjj

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: for; as with

Dear fivejedjon,

Thank you very much for your explanation. Now I understand them.

Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    fjj