Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
What is opinion on different words for beer?

jamiep

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Scotland
Current Location
Thailand
My quick thoughts.
Brew and brewsky are ok if understood as part of the whole context, but as a British person "brew" makes me think of tea first.

"Suds" definitely makes me think of soap so I'm not sure it works.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What is opinion on different words for beer?

Du côté de chez... nous autres

B Eng doesn't typically use 'brew' to refer to beer - though, while drinking, someone might say 'That's a good brew'. When you say 'Time for a brew', though, you mean a cup of tea. 'Brewsky' is unknown over here, as far as I know, as is 'suds'.

People usually use measures (Imperial, of course) to refer to alcoholic drinks. 'A pint' means beer (by default - it would mean, say, cider, for someone who was known to drink cider). The term 'a swift half' is used to refer to any measure of any alcoholic drink - the precise meaning of 'half a pint of beer' is a conventional euphemism. Someone might say to a colleague 'Fancy a swift half on the way home after work?'

To refer to lager (particularly Fosters or Castlemaine 4X) many people take a leaf out of Barry Humphries' book (he's an Australian comedian) and call it 'the amber fluid'. Recently it has morphed into 'the amber nectar', which seems to me a bit tautological. An Australian friend of mine used to refer to cans of lager as 'tinnies', which could be used to refer to their contents: 'Shall we stop off for a few tinnies mate?'

Verbs that idiomatically collocate with drink in large amounts include 'sink' and 'put away'. Drinking swiftly is 'downing'.

At the end of a night of drinking, your friends might 'pour you into a taxi'.

b

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Du côté de chez... nous autres

B Eng doesn't typically use 'brew' to refer to beer - though, while drinking, someone might say 'That's a good brew'. When you say 'Time for a brew', though, you mean a cup of tea. 'Brewsky' is unknown over here, as far as I know, as is 'suds'.

People usually use measures (Imperial, of course) to refer to alcoholic drinks. 'A pint' means beer (by default - it would mean, say, cider, for someone who was known to drink cider). The term 'a swift half' is used to refer to any measure of any alcoholic drink - the precise meaning of 'half a pint of beer' is a conventional euphemism. Someone might say to a colleague 'Fancy a swift half on the way home after work?'

To refer to lager (particularly Fosters or Castlemaine 4X) many people take a leaf out of Barry Humphries' book (he's an Australian comedian) and call it 'the amber fluid'. Recently it has morphed into 'the amber nectar', which seems to me a bit tautological. An Australian friend of mine used to refer to cans of lager as 'tinnies', which could be used to refer to their contents: 'Shall we stop off for a few tinnies mate?'

Verbs that idiomatically collocate with drink in large amounts include 'sink' and 'put away'. Drinking swiftly is 'downing'.

At the end of a night of drinking, your friends might 'pour you into a taxi'.

b
Would "swift half'' and "pour into a taxi" be British or it's widespread?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Other teachers: ostap77's question looks as though it's for me, but it's not. Those expressions are common in Br. Eng, but I don't know if they're 'widespread' in the rest of the world.

b

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When I saw the topic header, I immediately thought "beer." All of the words mentioned are common parlance for beer in AmE. :-D :cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.