Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Here's the link: Online English Test: Tìm t
I was doing an online test on this website and after clicking the show answers button, there are still some problems left:

16. Perhaps the colonists were looking for a climate like England, when they decided to settle the North American continent instead of the South American continent.
(A) looking for
(B) like England
(C) to settle
(D) instead of

What is wrong with "like England", my guess is it has to be "like England's". But after "to settle", I thought that there must be some thing like a preposition.

18. Into among the five Great Lakes, only Lake Michigan is located entirely within the territorial boundaries of the United States.
(A) Into among
(B) is located
(C) entirely
(D) territorial boundaries

I know "Into among" sounds really awkward. But my question is how to use the verb "locate"? Can I use "only Lake Michigan locates..." instead?

Please help me to solve these problems.
Thank you all in advance.:up:

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Here's the link: Online English Test: Tìm t
I was doing an online test on this website and after clicking the show answers button, there are still some problems left:

16. Perhaps the colonists were looking for a climate like England, when they decided to settle the North American continent instead of the South American continent.
(A) looking for
(B) like England
(C) to settle
(D) instead of

What is wrong with "like England", my guess is it has to be "like England's". But after "to settle", I thought that there must be some thing like a preposition.

18. Into among the five Great Lakes, only Lake Michigan is located entirely within the territorial boundaries of the United States.
(A) Into among
(B) is located
(C) entirely
(D) territorial boundaries

I know "Into among" sounds really awkward. But my question is how to use the verb "locate"? Can I use "only Lake Michigan locates..." instead?

Please help me to solve these problems.
Thank you all in advance.:up:
"England" is not a climate, it's a country so one can't "look for a climate like England".
"Into among" is the error.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Here's the link:

But my question is how to use the verb "locate"? Can I use "only Lake Michigan locates..." instead?

No.
The passive (to) be located is approximately equivalent to simply (to) be when it is used to show the location/situation/position of something. So, the sentences below convey a similar message:

Lake Michigan is located entirely within ... the United States.
Lake Michigan is entirely within ... the United States.

Status
Not open for further replies.