[Idiom] Around the block

Status
Not open for further replies.

CantateDivina

Member Type
Other
Hi,
I am an English speaker, so my asking this question may seem odd. But I am looking for a definition of the phrase "around the block" so that I can translate it into another language.

My attempts to find this expression in another language or a proper English definition have been in vain. So hopefully someone can help me!

I figured asking this in the forum would also serve people who are learning English and its idiomatic expressions.

Thanks!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hi,
I am an English speaker, so my asking this question may seem odd. But I am looking for a definition of the phrase "around the block" so that I can translate it into another language.

My attempts to find this expression in another language or a proper English definition have been in vain. So hopefully someone can help me!

I figured asking this in the forum would also serve people who are learning English and its idiomatic expressions.

Thanks!

It will help if you can provide context.

She's been around the block suggests to me that my mother might not approve of her, but that might not be what you are looking for.

CantateDivina

Member Type
Other
No, not really...what I mean is...well here's the specific context:

"Described as a roughened observer who has been around the block
enough times to see through society’s scams, ..."

Any idea how I could better define this expression??

Thanks!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
No, not really...what I mean is...well here's the specific context:

"Described as a roughened observer who has been around the block
enough times to see through society’s scams, ..."

Any idea how I could better define this expression??

Thanks!

This suggests to me that the roughened observer has had plenty of real experience of life at all levels.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In AmE, "been around the block" refers to a person who is street-savvy. More specifically, when it is a male being described as "he's been around the block" indicates that he is wise to the ways of the street and various con games and scams. However, if it is a female who has "been around the block" it means that she has had some sexual experience; she is not naive when it comes to sex.

CantateDivina

Member Type
Other
Thank you both so much for your help in defining this phrase.

It's kind of sad that depending on the sex of the person involved it can have 2 rather different connotations, huh?

Best!

Status
Not open for further replies.