• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

which/what

Moreover, the epithelial cells of JE secrete that protein as a line on the interface with the enamel, what was considered specific to this basal lamina [...]

Could "what" be substituted for "which"? The idea is that the fact of those epithelial cells secreting the protein under discussion as a line on the interface with the enamel was considered specific to the basal lamina under analysis.

Or, in a simpler sentence:

People put all kinds of personal information on the Internet, what can be really dangerous.

The idea is of using "what" as a summary of the whole previous sentence. Which wh-word is the correct one in this situation?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: which/what

Quote Originally Posted by Ana S View Post
    Moreover, the epithelial cells of JE secrete that protein as a line on the interface with the enamel, what was considered specific to this basal lamina [...]

Could "what" be substituted for "which"? The idea is that the fact of those epithelial cells secreting the protein under discussion as a line on the interface with the enamel was considered specific to the basal lamina under analysis.

Or, in a simpler sentence:

People put all kinds of personal information on the Internet, what can be really dangerous.

The idea is of using "what" as a summary of the whole previous sentence. Which wh-word is the correct one in this situation?
    The use of what is incorrect in English. We often hear it from non-native speakers, who can use the equivalent to what in their own language in such cases (the German was springs to mind.) It's still wrong in English. Which is the word we use.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Thanks. That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure. The question came to my mind when I read the first sentence. I created the second just to exemplify, in case the too technical original sentence might be confusing.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by Ana S View Post
    Thanks. That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure. The question came to my mind when I read the first sentence. I created the second just to exemplify, in case the too technical original sentence might be confusing.
    Now that was smart.