English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Japan
I am fine with that.

So why is the dennotation the same (between present perfect and present continuous) in posture verbs?

The denotation of many verbs, in the present perfect and present continuous, such as throwing, stamping, kicking, chewing, spitting, groaning, making, getting up, running, jumping, typing, watching. Watching and having watched are not the same. I might have my eyes shut having watched something, but I must have them open if I am watching.

However, standing, sitting, lying, riding something, leaning, slouching, bending over, bending down, bending out of, holding up ones hand, holding out ones hand, and face gestures too - smiling, frowning, grinning. Perhaps shrugging but perhaps not.

Reflecting and mirroring are pretty much the same as has mirrored, has reflected. Displaying, showing, representing, likewise. Perhaps that is a key. Perhaps "posture verbs" are a subset of "verbs of display/representation" in that the important point, the important denunciated, is that someone is displaying some form, and not that they are getting into that, or moving to that form.

Pokemon

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I am fine with that.

So why is the dennotation the same (between present perfect and present continuous) in posture verbs?

</p>
By denotatum (probably this is the right term here, not denotation) I mean the situation those tenses describe. In semantics it's important to make distinction between the following three components that constitute the structure of the meaning: denotatum, concept and pragmatic factors. The denotatum component is a picture of "a person on the chair". This picture can be viewed upon in different ways. This is the concept level where you interpret the situation through the system of meanings forming the semantics of this or that tense category. How it is done I described in my post above.

timtak

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Japan
Thank you.

For me this started as a result of looking at photographs in part 1 of the TOEIC test - the denotatum.

Status
Not open for further replies.