Academic
Native Language
Malay
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
South Korea
Hello guys..

Firstly, thank you for your concern even if you just view this thread... I have to make a thesis proposal and I've got some rough ideas. So I'd be glad if you can share your opinion, view or any comment. Critics are also most welcome...

Here's the deal:
Idiomatic expression and its relation to pragmatics (with some concerns of teaching and learning (2nd language learners)

The issues:
1. Grice conversational implicature and idiomatic expression.
2. Why idiomatic expression has to be separated from language teaching? (learn in literature class)
3. Is it important to teach idiomatic expressions formally in class?
4. What's the best teaching method for non-native students (multiple intelligences, TPR)?

Thanks in advance :)

lauralie2

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
Hi Eden

Is it an MA thesis or an Honors thesis?

1. Grice conversational implicature and idiomatic expression. <too heavy for an Honors thesis, but fabulous for an MA thesis. Hmm, hasn't it been done already? You'll need to narrow it down some, which your adviser should help you with.>

2. Why do idiomatic expressions have to be separate from language teaching? <Are they taught separately? I have many colleagues who teach idioms as part of their individual ESOL lessons. We are/were taught to do it that way so as to show vocabulary and meaning in context. If teachers aren't doing that today, gee, I bet their students aren't all that satisfied.>

3. Is it important to teach idiomatic expressions formally in class? <That's a good topic for an Honors thesis, but for an MA thesis the topic is too thin.>

4. What's the best teaching method for non-native students (multiple intelligences, TPR)? <Agh. Old school. Not relevant today for an MA thesis, but would stand well as an Honors thesis.>

Eden Darien

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Malay
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
South Korea
You have my gratitude lauralie2 (plus the corrections, superb)

Anyway, This is for an MA thesis...

The main topic is the one with the blue colour... and the rest are the questions which shall be question in the thesis... So I shall put all of the questions (still considering some others) to support the main issue which is idiomatic expression and its relation to pragmatics.

Yes, as far as idioms are being concern, they do teach students; but how about slangs, collocations, etc. Since slangs are relatively ephemeral, should we teach them to students? let's say in literature classes, they do teach students about metaphor, simile, etc but how about teaching them in linguistic related subjects, grammar for instance. Is it possible? Well, literature and linguistics are two different fields, I may say...

About methods. I'm going to do some implementation to my students and observe which one is the best for teaching idiomatic expressions.. :)

That's it ;-)

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hello guys..

Firstly, thank you for your concern even if you just view this thread... I have to make a thesis proposal and I've got some rough ideas. So I'd be glad if you can share your opinion, view or any comment. Critics are also most welcome...

Here's the deal:
Idiomatic expression and its relation to pragmatics (with some concerns of teaching and learning (2nd language learners)

The issues:
1. Grice conversational implicature and idiomatic expression.
2. Why idiomatic expression has to be separated from language teaching? (learn in literature class)
3. Is it important to teach idiomatic expressions formally in class?
4. What's the best teaching method for non-native students (multiple intelligences, TPR)?

Thanks in advance :)
It sounds like an interesting idea.
My opinion is that teaching idiomatic language use belongs in the language class. Some examples that you use ("Here's the deal", "Hello guys") might be pertinent in a literature class if they come up in the literature that you're learning/teaching. Otherwise, you're not teaching literature.
On the other hand, the correct meaning of "Wherefore art thou, Romeo?" belongs in a literature class, because that's where it's found, and it's no longer idiomatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.