• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Great Britain

A bad weekend for referees

Since returning home from the game yesterday, and having watched both Match or the Day and The football league show this morning, I do feel that it has been a bad weekend for referees.

Yesterdays referee at Plainmoor had a terrible first ten minutes and he never really recoverd from it. During the first 5 minutes he had to be spared his blushes by his assitants on three seperate occassions. Luckily nothing of note came from these decisions (two throw-ins and a corner,initially given as a goal-kick) but what about his fourth blunder. Just like the others, his initial decision was instant and wrong again. What can't be seen on the TV footage is his position. 30 yards away in the centre circle, waving his arms and away Benyons claim for a penalty. Luckily the assistant on the far sidecould see that he was goalside of the defender and contact was made. The decision he made was an easy one.
    He should be dissapointed with his performance.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: A bad weekend for referees

Is there a question?

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Great Britain

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    Is there a question?

b
    No question, it's just my opinion on a sporting issue. I wondered if you could spot the basic mistakes for me.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by boozl View Post
    Since returning home from the game yesterday, and having watched both Match orf the Day and The football league show this morning, I do feel that it has been a bad weekend for referees.
    [As a native speaker, you know what you're doing with 'do feel'. That's fine, but I wouldn't want foreign students to take this as a model.]

Yesterday's referee at Plainmoor had a terrible first ten minutes and he(?) never really recovered from it. During the first 5 minutes he had to be spared his blushes by his assistants on three sepearate occassions. Luckily nothing of note came from these decisions [A bit weak. What you mean is that no serious injustice resulted from them].(two throw-ins and a corner,{space here) initially given as a goal-kick), but what about his fourth blunder was less excusable.
    [? Or, if you want to keep your rhetorical question, start a new sentence (and punctuate it!)]
    . Just like the others, his initial decision was instant and wrong again [we already know it was 'just like the others']. What can't be seen on the TV footage is his position. 30 yards away in the centre circle, waving his arms ...
    [Where's the subject for this clause to relate to? Repunctuate as follows: 'What can't be seen on the TV footage is his position, 30 yards away in the centre circle. He was waving...' Incidentally, look up 'zeugma' in Wikipedia. 'Waving his arms and away...' is unfortunate. ]
    ...and away Benyon's claim for a penalty. Luckily the assistant on the far side could see that he was goalside of the defender and contact was made. The decision he made was an easy one.
    [Clarify the referents of these two. Also, 'goalside' may be common in sports commentators' parlance, but it's rather too informal for prose.]
    He should be dissappointed with his performance.
    I don't normally mark native speakers' work, but thought I owed you this effort after my last post.

b