[General] changed rules of Grammar in songs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catherine 13

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
What are the reasons that you can easily use wrong Grammars in songs???like in "im calling you":(I don't need nobody.I don't fear nobody....i don't call nobody but you...).or in "the wall":(we don't need no education...).Id really like to know the main reason....:-?

Last edited:

lauralie2

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
What are the reasons that you can easily use wrong Grammars in songs???like in "im calling you":(I don't need nobody.I don't fear nobody....i don't call nobody but you...).or in "the wall":(we don't need no education...).Id really like to know the main reason....:-?
It's not "wrong grammar", just different grammar. There's a standard grammar, the one we learn in school, and then there are variations of the standard, the ones that reflect dialect and idiolect.

mamen

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines

One of my friends told me that it's because of the so-called 'poetic license.'

lauralie2

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
One of my friends told me that it's because of the so-called 'poetic license.'
It's not "so-called", it is called poetic license or artistic license, and it applies when an artist, even a music artist, intentionally distorts or alters the conventions of standard grammar. But, I can't see that as the case here, in the examples provided in post 1, as the lyrics reflect modern language in use--some people, ahem, many people speak that way. Today's musicians use language that reflects either their own language or the language of their audience, and that is not an example of artistic license.

Catherine 13

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
so...people use these things in their informal speech and its not just for songs....true?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
so...people use these things in their informal speech and its not just for songs....true?
Yes. This is especially true of young people when they are with people of their own age group. They often see the use of non-standard language as a sign of group-identity, separating them from stuffy old reactionaries like lauralie - and me!

When he was younger, my son, for example, would utter such things as, " Me and Pete's going out tomorrow," when he was with his friends. To his mother and me he would say, "Peter and I are going out tomorrow."

Catherine 13

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
thanks....i have one other question....How is an English teacher social value and position in English countries?I hope u get what i mean...

lauralie2

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
thanks....i have one other question....How is an English teacher social value and position in English countries?I hope u get what i mean...
It depends on who's doing the hiring.

Catherine 13

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
if somebody from an other country,with another native language,come there to teach,what would happen to her?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
if somebody from an other country,with another native language,come there to teach,what would happen to her?
If an English teacher who is a non-native speaker came to Australia (I'll speak for what I know), she would find it hard to comply with expected standards. Even if her English were perfect, she would probably lack the cultural background of literature, etc. that English teachers also need to teach. A teacher of English here teaches more than just how to speak the language.
However, if you mean a teacher of English to immigrants from the same background as the teacher, she might do OK.

Now, I notice you didn't specify English teaching. A teacher of History or Science would not have the same level of difficulty, as long as their English is good enough. (This doesn't apply to universities; as long as you are knowledgable in your field, it is apparently the student's place to understand whatever language you can produce).

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

I laughed out loud when I read lauralie's response - it hit the mark, unfortunately.

What Raymott wrote about Australia was broadly true of the UK when I left twelve years ago, and probably still is today, though there is the additional problem that is it difficult now for citizens of non-EU countries to be allowed to work in the UK.

An answer to your original question is difficult.

There is a saying, often attributed to G B Shaw: "Those who can, do; those who can't, teach". This idea that teachers are people who are unable to do anything else is present in some minds.

It is also true that many people outside the field of education nowadays have a university degree, and so teachers are not seen as the 'educated, therefore brainy' people that they perhaps once were.

In the UK, as in many countries, teaching is not a particularly well-paid profession. A high salary brings prestige today, and so teachers lose out here.

So, my impression is that teaching in the UK is not a particularly high-status profession.

If you are asking about teachers in the EFL world, then their status is much lower. Everybody seems to know of some 18-year-old who back-packed his/her way round the world, funding the travels and alcoholic life by teaching English. The fact that some EFL teachers consider themselve 'qualified' for life with a certificate awarded after a four-week course does not help the image.

Status
Not open for further replies.