[Grammar] common forms of some irregular verbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damascus

Member Type
Student or Learner
my idea in brief is: I would like from you guys to give us the most common forms of an irregular verbs that have more than one form in either past form or past participle form, for example: in the verb (stride), Which is the most common form of its past participle that is used more frequently by English speakers? Is it (strode, stridden or strid)?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
my idea in brief is: I would like from you guys to give us the most common forms of an irregular verbs that have more than one form in either past form or past participle form, for example: in the verb (stride), Which is the most common form of its past participle that is used more frequently by English speakers? Is it (strode, stridden or strid)?

An interesting idea, but it may not work. You will find a lot of disagreement among teachers on this. We all have our own particular preferences. You will find that most good dictionaries for learners will list the alternatives. If you are particularly interested in one verb, you can ask what members think about it.

Interestingly, I couldn't think of an answer to your specific question about the past participle of stride. Perhaps this is because I couldn't think of a natural situation in which I might use this verb in the present perfect. This thought was reinforced when I found that the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary does not list a past participle in its appendix of irregular verbs. In the main dictionary entry for 'stride' it says: not used in the perfect tenses.
The Concise Oxford Dictionary gives stridden.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Damascus,

If it is possible, I suggest that you go to a big library and try to

find an old (from the 1930's) two-volume grammar book entitled

A Grammar of the English Language by Dr. George O. Curme.

In the first volume (in the back of the book), Dr. Curme discusses

the history of most strong (irregular) verbs. I learned this about

"stride":

past = strode; strided (used in the past by some "good" authors);

strid (older form in literature).

past participle = stridden; strided (used in the past by some

"good" authors); strid ("a rare past participle").

***** NOT a teacher *****

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think you would do better to Google your request, which most of us would do anyway for this type of inquiry.

Status
Not open for further replies.