Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Dear Teacher,
I am still not quite comfortable as to how to use the expression "to reach out". Can you proivide pertinent exemples? Also, does it have the same meaning as to "reach over" or to "reach across".
Thank you

Munch

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Japan
Dear Teacher,
I am still not quite comfortable as to how to use the expression "to reach out". Can you proivide pertinent exemples? Also, does it have the same meaning as to "reach over" or to "reach across".
Thank you

It can literally mean to extend your arm to reach something. It can also mean to to offer yourself to others in someway, to appeal to others.

Literally:

You will have to reach out to pick the apples, they are hard to reach.

Metaphorically:

Republicans are making clumsy efforts to reach out to non-white voters.
"Reach out and touch someone" was a famous advertising slogan.

Gilles L

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Re: Reach out (cont'd)

Dear Munch,

Thank you so much for answering my previous post; that clarifies a lot of my questioning. What about the other expressions:

To reach over and,
To reach across

Can those expressions be used interdependently with To reach out ?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would expect "reach over" to have a literal meaning.

"Reach across" can be literal, but in it's metaphorical meaning -- especially in politics -- it means make an effort to work with others, from whom you are separated in some way.

In US political houses, the Republicans and Democrats are literally seated on either side of an aisle, so when they say "reach across the aisle" it means that they will work with each other to do something.

Reactions: 5jj

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Are you surprised to learn that McCain is the one that has the proven record for reaching across the aisle to democrats, more so than Obama has to republicans?

.. and now - a change in front!!!

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's aisle, not isle.

Despite claims that the politicians are isolated and out of touch, they really aren't surrounded by water.

(Yes, English learners, the pronunciation is exactly the same.)

Reactions: vil

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
I beg your pardon for the regrettable mistake.

Thank you for your amendment.

V.

daemon99

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
In case you see any problems with our product, please reach out to our customer support.

Please tell me if reach out to has been correctly used in the sentence above.

Munch

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Japan
In case you see any problems with our product, please reach out to our customer support.

Please tell me if reach out to has been correctly used in the sentence above.

It is not grammatically incorrect but it sounds strange to me. I would just say "please contact customer support"

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It is not grammatically incorrect but it sounds strange to me. I would just say "please contact customer support"

Me too. I'd also say "If" instead of "In case."

daemon99

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
My question is whether we can use reach out to someone in the sense of seek someone's help. (is this sentence fine?)

1) Please reach out to the HR if there is a discrepancy in the salary you got this month.
2) Please reach out to the minister concerned if you feel the officials aren't working properly.

Are the above sentences natural?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes and no. You reach out to people to help you, but you don't use it if it's that person's regular job to do it anyway.

I don't "reach out" to HR with a benefits question. I contact them. It's their job. On the other hand, if I was organizing a community service day and I wanted to see if there was someone there who wanted to help with the organizing, I might reach out the HR to see if there was someone who wanted to participate in a leadership role. It's not their regular job. You might reach out to people you don't usually work with.

For the examples you've given, it's their job and expected role, so reaching out doesn't sound natural to me.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I agree with Barb_D- it seems excessive to me to use reach out in these examples. In the first, it's simply a matter of picking up a phone, etc, so contact is the natural verb. The second is a bit closer, but the situation doesn't seem serious enough- not working properly is not the same as acting corruptly. I'd complain to a minister isf they weren't working properly, but I would reach out if they were abusing their powers to prosecute me unfairly and fabricating evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.