Member Type
Other
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
I am interested in how to teach Thai students to give a simple speech.
would you please suggest me some teaching tip ?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I googled making a speech and found loads of useful material.

Rover

Pokemon

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation

Suthipong

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
They are between 17 - 20 years old. But as it is known in general that Thai students are rather poor at English especially in conversation and in giving a speech. That why I asked how to teach speech for beginner.

Pokemon

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
They are between 17 - 20 years old. But as it is known in general that Thai students are rather poor at English especially in conversation and in giving a speech. That why I asked how to teach speech for beginner.

Find a book for home reading. Ask them to act out the scenes from that book in class. When they get to know the characters better have them improvise conversation in would be situations. For a person who is shy and lacks confidence it is sometimes easier to express somebody else's personality than their own.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Can we clarify whether we are talking about speech as in holding a conversation, or speech as in 'My lords, ladies and gentlemen. Unaccustomed as I am....'?

Rover

Eden Darien

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Malay
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
South Korea
Can we clarify whether we are talking about speech as in holding a conversation, or speech as in 'My lords, ladies and gentlemen. Unaccustomed as I am....'?

Rover

Oh sorry I muddled things up...
We should talk about speech in 'a talk, especially a formal one about a particular subject, given to a group of people' sense.. :oops:

Suthipong

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
I mean teach students to know how to give a short and simple speech, not in a sense of everyday conversation that they use some dialogue.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

Do you mean giving a speech? If so, that is not a beginner task at all in my opinion- with a beginner, you couldn't expect more than simple ways of expressing thanks or something. Most people find speeches hard in their first language.

Suthipong

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
Students in Thailand are very poor at giving speeches. They know how to answer short questions, but when we ask them to tell something more or to answer with a longer sentences, give some more examples or tell a story (even in short) they can't. How can I improve them ?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
How about trying some simple role plays?

Eden Darien

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Malay
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
South Korea
How about trying some simple role plays?

That's why I have suggested Dessugestopedia and Audio-Lingual Method. In the end, we should be back to basics.. ;-)

Practise with simple dialogues first and then you can move on to a more complex task. I don't think speech is a good excercise for your students since according to you they are just beginners..

Suthipong

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
My students know how to answer some easy questions but can not talk a little bit lonnger conversation. How can I help them speak more ?

Eden Darien

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Malay
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
South Korea
Let them listen to a real conversation or even a real speech. You can use video, podcast, etc, then let them analyse the speech (Imitating won't hurt)... I use BBC...

Let them have a simple debate. If you compare debate and speech: speech is harder since in debate friends can cope and help one another.

Pick easy topics. I call this debate 'stupid debate'. Fyi, I use this method all the time for my class. The debate is normally about 'stupid things' eg: Superman VS Spiderman, Contact lens VS Spectacle etc. And then pick one person from each group to come forward and summarise the whole thing. Note that this is similar to having a speech (in a sense).

After a while, they will get the grip of it and I'm sure they won't have any problem delivering a speech... One step at a time... ;-)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.