Results 1 to 10 of 10
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 1,189
    #1

    Cool PP

    Hello!

    Is the use of the present perfect correct in these cases?:

    -The factories were on strike last week. They have all started working again.


    -I don't know if you have noticed, but I've removed everything from the garden. (Could we also use the Past simple here?)

    Thanks
    W

  1. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,218
    #2

    Re: PP

    Quote Originally Posted by Will17 View Post
    Hello!

    Is the use of the present perfect correct in these cases?:

    -The factories were on strike last week. They have all started working again.


    -I don't know if you have noticed, but I've removed everything from the garden.

    (Could we also use the Past simple here?)

    Thanks
    W
    With the second one you could use simple past in the second part, but unless there is no longer an opportunity for the person to notice, then I would keep the present perfect in the first part.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

  2. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #3

    Re: PP

    Quote Originally Posted by Will17 View Post
    Hello!

    Is the use of the present perfect correct in these cases?:

    -The factories were on strike last week. They have all started working again.Yes


    -I don't know if you have noticed, but I've removed everything from the garden. Yes (Could we also use the Past simple here? Yes, with both verbs.)

    Thanks
    W
    5jj

  3. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,218
    #4

    Re: PP

    5jj, you'd use simple past with the first part?

    I was thinking from the perspective of the annoyed person who did all the work and wants the other person to realize this. I don't know if you've noticed it or not (subtext: you better notice and comment on it now!), but I cleaned this place from top to bottom!

    Maybe I'm projecting too much :)
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

  4. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #5

    Re: PP

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    5jj, you'd use simple past with the first part?

    I was thinking from the perspective of the annoyed person who did all the work and wants the other person to realize this. I don't know if you've noticed it or not (subtext: you better notice and comment on it now!), but I cleaned this place from top to bottom!

    Maybe I'm projecting too much :)
    Even with your perspective, I am fairly sure I could use a past simple. Whether I would is another question. I am reasonably sure that if another speaker of BrE used a past simple here it would not strike me as unusual.

    I don't know if you noticed it or not (subtext: whan you walked so blithely through the now tidy garden, you unobservant ##**$##)

  5. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,218
    #6

    Re: PP

    That sounds reasonable - you could, but it's not certain whether you would.

    Will, on an unrelated note, could you use more expressive titles? PP could be present perfect or pas perfect or purple petunias (the last not being likely, I admit). Thanks!
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 12,307
    #7

    Re: PP

    Are the factories on strike or are the workers on strike?

  6. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #8

    Re: PP

    Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    Are the factories on strike or are the workers on strike?
    Factories implies workers in the factories.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 1,189
    #9

    Re: PP

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    That sounds reasonable - you could, but it's not certain whether you would.

    Will, on an unrelated note, could you use more expressive titles? PP could be present perfect or pas perfect or purple petunias (the last not being likely, I admit). Thanks!
    understood

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 12,307
    #10

    Re: PP

    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    Factories implies workers in the factories.
    I know what you meant, it just sounds odd to me. I wouldn't word it that way.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •