Results 1 to 4 of 4
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #1

    sell someone down the river

    "He said to me that he was going to take me on the staff if they were opening a new store but he sold me down the river and didn't even tell they had opened." Is it OK with the context and grammar?

  1. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #2

    Re: sell someone down the river

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    "He said to me that he was going to take me on the staff if they were opening a new store but he sold me down the river and didn't even tell me they had opened." Is it OK with the context and grammar?
    Yes, but as this expression implies betrayal, it would be more appropriate if we have something along the lines of:

    "He said to me that he was going to take me on the staff if they were opening a new store but he sold me down the river and told my boss about my plans to work for a rival."

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #3

    Re: sell someone down the river

    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    Yes, but as this expression implies betrayal, it would be more appropriate if we have something along the lines of:

    "He said to me that he was going to take me on the staff if they were opening a new store but he sold me down the river and told my boss about my plans to work for a rival."
    It was more like he didn't take me on the staff because he took someone else?

  2. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #4

    Re: sell someone down the river

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    It was more like he didn't take me on the staff because he took someone else?
    No. My example suggests that he sold me down the river (betrayed me) by offering me a job when he never intended to give me the job; indeed, instead of acting as a friend, he acted as an enemy by revealing my hopes to my boss. This caused me embarrassment.

Similar Threads

  1. [General] wash into the river/be washed into the river
    By jiamajia in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 30-Jul-2010, 14:34
  2. up this river
    By IMPSX-UE in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-Mar-2009, 16:20
  3. [General] River
    By nay nay in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-Dec-2008, 22:18
  4. Along the river
    By Erica01 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-Jun-2006, 03:27

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •