Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello!

Could somebody please help me find out whether 'staff' takes 'many' or 'much' as a quantifier?

The Macmillan Dictionary says 'staff' is , so I shoud say 'how much staff do you need?"
Longman refers to 'staff'' as a [C] noun, therefore it should be "how many staff.."

Which one should I believe?

Thank you very much in advance.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hello!

Could somebody please help me find out whether 'staff' takes 'many' or 'much' as a quantifier?

The Macmillan Dictionary says 'staff' is , so I should say 'how much staff do you need?"
Longman refers to 'staff'' as a [C] noun, therefore it should be "how many staff.."

The Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary has:[C, usually sing.], which doesn't help us in this situation either. How many would be the one I'd expect to say/hear in BrE.

Verona_82

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
Thank you, fivejedjon! ;-)

PS. It's pretty difficult to learn English when the only source of knowledge is a dictionary.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thank you, fivejedjon! ;-)

PS. It's pretty difficult to learn English when the only source of knowledge is a dictionary.

I have lots of resources, I am a native speaker, I can discuss things with teachers who are native speakers, and I am still learning about English after nearly sixty years of studying it.

If you are managing with just a dictionary, then good luck - and congratulations on what you have achieved so far.

And let's both be grateful for the existence of this forum!:-D

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
Hello!

The Macmillan Dictionary says 'staff' is , so I shoud say 'how much staff do you need?"

I would probably say (in AmE) "How much staff do you need?" or "How many staff members do you need?"

Verona_82

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
Thank you!
5jj, you cannot imagine how grateful I am for the existence of this forum. And never before have I suspected there's such a huge difference between AmE and BrE, even in the usage of quantifiers!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.