Results 1 to 9 of 9
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #1

    a min crush on someone

    "He has a mini-crush on her.'' Does it mean that he started to have some feelings for he?

    The way I take it "to have a crush on someone" means to fall in love.
    Last edited by ostap77; 03-Nov-2010 at 11:04.

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,624
    #2

    Re: a min crush on someone

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    "He has a mnin-crush on her.'' Does it mean that he started to have some feelings for he?

    The way I take it "to have a crush on someone" means to fall in love.
    I have no idea what a "min" or "mnin" crush is. When we say somebody has a "crush" on another person, it means that they have some amorous feelings toward them.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #3

    Re: a min crush on someone

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    I have no idea what a "min" or "mnin" crush is. When we say somebody has a "crush" on another person, it means that they have some amorous feelings toward them.
    Sorry! A typo. Mini

  2. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #4

    Re: a min crush on someone

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    "He has a mini-crush on her.'' Does it mean that he started to have some feelings for he?

    The way I take it "to have a crush on someone" means to fall in love.
    - sort of. But it's usually an adolescent feeling that couldn't possibly be fulfilled or even requited - like a first-year student for a sixth former or teacher.

    b

  3. Munch's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Aug 2010
    • Posts: 479
    #5

    Re: a min crush on someone

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    - sort of. But it's usually an adolescent feeling that couldn't possibly be fulfilled or even requited - like a first-year student for a sixth former or teacher.

    b
    BobK, I agree that is one use. But people often use it with people of similar ages too, where it could plausibly turn into a more serious relationship. I think it is more common in American English, though.

  4. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #6

    Re: a min crush on someone

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    "He has a mini-crush on her.'' Does it mean that he started to have some feelings for he?

    The way I take it "to have a crush on someone" means to fall in love.
    It's more like 'experience a strong feeling of love/infatuation, that usually doesn't last for long'. A mini-crush presumably means either that it's not all that strong, or that it will last a particularly short time, or both.

  5. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #7

    Re: a min crush on someone

    Quote Originally Posted by Munch View Post
    BobK, I agree that is one use. But people often use it with people of similar ages too, where it could plausibly turn into a more serious relationship. I think it is more common in American English, though.
    In Br Eng - or at least the range of dialects I usually meet - it refers either to someone of school age or to someone who's old enough to know better . So if an adult says of a colleague 'I think he's got a bit of a crush on the new boss' it's quite demeaning of the feeling (in a not particularly hostile way - it's just belittling it a bit) ; and the colleague would be less likely to have a crush on someone at the same level in the work hierarchy.

    b

  6. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #8

    Re: a min crush on someone

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    the colleague would be less likely to have a crush on someone at the same level in the work hierarchy.

    b
    Less likely, but possible, especially if the person at the same level in the work hierarchy is at a higher level in some other area - looks, dress sense, money, connections, for example

  7. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #9

    Re: a min crush on someone

    It's not a hard and fast thing. It just implies some sort of inferior/superior relation in any realm, as you say.

    b

Similar Threads

  1. [Vocabulary] "To fancy someone","to have a crush on someone"
    By maral55 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-Apr-2010, 12:08
  2. [Vocabulary] clash crash crush
    By gchman in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 13-Aug-2009, 10:51
  3. don't follow me i got my orange crush
    By chelle18 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 27-Feb-2008, 09:51
  4. a 25 min writting essay Test [ help check ]
    By endeavor6636 in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-Aug-2006, 14:29
  5. write a essay in 25 min
    By endeavor6636 in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 28-Jul-2006, 14:33

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •