Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
UK
Hi,

Question:
Could you please explain the usage of "and" in my sentence.

Sentence:

"The question often arises in the general public: Can we do something about this. And the answer is yes.

My opinion:
The "and" is at the start of a sentence, so it is very special.
According to the following link, I think we can use meaning 9 - (used to introduce a consequence or conditional result):

And | Define And at Dictionary.com

Thanks

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hi,

Question:
Could you please explain the usage of "and" in my sentence.

Sentence:

"The question often arises in the general public: Can we do something about this. And the answer is yes.

My opinion:
The "and" is at the start of a sentence, so it is very special.
According to the following link, I think we can use meaning 9 - (used to introduce a consequence or conditional result):

And | Define And at Dictionary.com

Thanks
I think it's just a simple conjunction used to connect grammatically coordinate words, phrases, or clauses.

1. "The question :) Can we do something about this?) often arises in the general public. The answer is yes."

2. "The question often arises in the general public :) Can we do something about this?) and the answer is yes."

3. The question often arises in the general public: Can we do something about this? And the answer is yes.

The speaker has simply joined thoughts together. What is marked by a full stop in the written form may be simply a (dramatic?) pause in the spoken delivery. I see little of consequence or conditional result here.

And it's quite common to start sentences with conjunctions, despite what generations of teachers have told us. But I don't recommend it in formal writing. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.