• Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Out there?

Hi,

The other day I was teaching a text. The text is a group of messages in a forum. The first sentence is this:

"A question for you veteran dieters out there: What's the best way to lose weight and keep it off?"

The students asked me to explain the meaning of "out there" in this sentence, but I simply couldn't. I said that it doesn't add much meaning to the sentence and can be ignored. But they weren't convinced.

How can I explain "out there"?
    Last edited by risorgimento; 04-Nov-2010 at 08:23. Reason: rephrasing and grammatical modification

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: Out there?

Quote Originally Posted by caminostro View Post
    Hi,

The other day I was teaching a text. The text is a group of messages in a forum. The first sentence is this:

"A question for you veteran dieters out there: What's the best way to lose weight and keep it off?"

The students asked me to explain the meaning of "out there" in this sentence, but I simply couldn't. I said that it doesn't add much meaning to the sentence and can be ignored. But they weren't convinced.

How can I explain "out there"?
    If it was a message on an internet forum, it means "all those of you at home reading this".
    You were right to say that it doesn't add anything meaningful to the sentence.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Thank you very much, Bhaisahab.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

A ground-breaking TV drama. Hilll Street Blues, popularized this expression (I doubt if it was the earliest use but it was the earliest for me. It always started with the briefing at the start of a shift, and ended with the words '...And, hey [as chairs started scraping on the floor and converations broke out]... Let's be careful out there.'

Another US TV drama that used it regularly was The X Files: "The truth is out there."

It's now widely used in Internet forums as bhaisahab said - but it started life as a less specific reference to "somewhere in the world[, out of our comfort zone]"

b
    Last edited by BobK; 05-Nov-2010 at 14:05. Reason: Added last sentence