Results 1 to 7 of 7
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 1,676
    #1

    for the purposes

    "Note that the U.S. Constitution refers to citizens of the states, so for purposes of federal diversity jurisdiction, citizenship and domicile are the same."

    The above sentence was written by Bryan Garner. I'm wondering if it would be correct to write "for the purposes ...."?

    Thanks!

  1. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #2

    Re: for the purposes

    Quote Originally Posted by Jasmin165 View Post
    "Note that the U.S. Constitution refers to citizens of the states, so for purposes of federal diversity jurisdiction, citizenship and domicile are the same."

    The above sentence was written by Bryan Garner. I'm wondering if it would be correct to write "for the purposes ...."?

    Thanks!
    Not here. Garner is correct.

    We could use the if we were defining purposes:

    ...
    so for the purposes of federal diversity jurisdiction considered on page 37, citizenship....

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 1,676
    #3

    Re: for the purposes

    So how would you then explain the "the" in the sentence below? "Purposes" isn't being defined here either, at least in my opinion.

    "For the purposes of Article 33(2) and (3), everything made available to the public anywhere in the world by means of written disclosure (including drawings and other illustrations) shall be considered prior art provided that such making available occurred prior to the relevant date."

    Source: 1878.01(a) Prior Art for Purposes of the Written Opinion and the International Preliminary Examination Report [R-6] - 1800 Patent Cooperation Treaty

    Thanks!

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 1,676
    #4

    Re: for the purposes

    Many similar examples here as well:

    Article II. Definitions and Criteria

  2. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #5

    Re: for the purposes

    Quote Originally Posted by Jasmin165 View Post
    So how would you then explain the "the" in the sentence below? "Purposes" isn't being defined here either, at least in my opinion.

    "For the purposes of Article 33(2) and (3), everything made available to the public anywhere in the world by means of written disclosure (including drawings and other illustrations) shall be considered prior art provided that such making available occurred prior to the relevant date."
    It was encountering perceptive people such as you that made me decide never to use the words 'always' and 'never' when answering questions about English. I try always to stick to that decision.

    After re-thinking, I have come to the conclusion that perhaps you could omit the in Garner's sentence. oops! Let's see what others have to say about this.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 1,676
    #6

    Re: for the purposes

    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    After re-thinking, I have come to the conclusion that perhaps you could omit the in Garner's sentence. oops! Let's see what others have to say about this.
    But Garner didn't use "the" in the sentence he wrote. My question was whether it would be correct to add a "the," not whether it would be correct to omit it.

    Did you mean to say something else when you wrote the above?

    Thanks!

  3. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #7

    Re: for the purposes

    Quote Originally Posted by Jasmin165 View Post
    But Garner didn't use "the" in the sentence he wrote. My question was whether it would be correct to add a "the," not whether it would be correct to omit it.

    Did you mean to say something else when you wrote the above?

    Thanks!
    Sorry. I was tired. Ignore completely my last response.

    Let's start again:

    I stand by what I said originally:

    Garner is correct.
    We could use 'the' if we were defining purposes:
    ...so for the purposes of federal diversity jurisdiction considered on page 37,
    citizenship....

    I feel that the difference with your later example is that when we refer to a specific article, paragraph, section etc, then we are defining purposes, and the is appropriate.

Similar Threads

  1. used for entertainment purposes are...
    By HelloKitty1029 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14-Nov-2009, 06:43
  2. For Illustration Purposes
    By JoeMerlion in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17-May-2008, 16:44
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 31-Mar-2008, 08:19
  4. intended purposes
    By mrainone in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-Mar-2006, 03:21
  5. stating purposes
    By lisa*** in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-Sep-2005, 19:02

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •