Results 1 to 4 of 4
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #1

    data doest it take plurar or singular

    "There is a lot of interesting data." Correct?

    OR

    "There are a lot of interesting data." Correct?

    Suppose I'm writing an article ,would it be used correctly in the following context?

    "To anticipate a little, the data obtained, fully support the theory." Correct? Is it "supports" or "support"?

    Is there a less formal way of "to anticipate a little"?
    Last edited by ostap77; 04-Nov-2010 at 12:17.

  1. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #2

    Re: data doest it take plurar or singular

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    "There is a lot of interesting data." Correct?

    OR

    "There are a lot of interesting data." Correct?

    Suppose I'm writing an article ,would it be used correctly in the following context?

    "To anticipate a little, the data obtained, fully support the theory." Correct? Is it "supports" or "support"?
    Either, in Br Eng, with the singular usage growing. But other national standards have a stronger preference (sometimes insistence) on one or the other. The same goes for the pronunciation: in Br English, /'deitǝ/ and /'dɑtǝ/ coexist, with /'deitǝ/ usage growing. But other national standards have a stronger preference (sometimes insistence) on one or the other. (I can hear (in my mind's ear!) the New Zealand-born editor (then) of the OED saying things like /šǝ 'dɑtǝ arɪŋkǝn'sɪstǝnt/; it sounded very odd to me, but it was perfectly acceptable in his national standard).

    b

    PS I imagine a few zealots will adopt a zero-tolerance attitude to the singular.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #3

    Re: data doest it take plurar or singular

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    Either, in Br Eng, with the singular usage growing. But other national standards have a stronger preference (sometimes insistence) on one or the other. The same goes for the pronunciation: in Br English, /'deitǝ/ and /'dɑtǝ/ coexist, with /'deitǝ/ usage growing. But other national standards have a stronger preference (sometimes insistence) on one or the other. (I can hear (in my mind's ear!) the New Zealand-born editor (then) of the OED saying things like /šǝ 'dɑtǝ arɪŋkǝn'sɪstǝnt/; it sounded very odd to me, but it was perfectly acceptable in his national standard).

    b

    PS I imagine a few zealots will adopt a zero-tolerance attitude to the singular.
    How about a less formal way of saying "to anticipate a little" in the above given context?

  2. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #4

    Re: data doest it take plurar or singular

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    How about a less formal way of saying "to anticipate a little" in the above given context?
    It doesn't sound too formal to me - quite appropriate for an academic paper. But I'm biased in its favour: any use of 'anticipate' to mean something more than 'expect' gets my vote.

    An idiomatic way of putting it (a bit too informal, I think) would be 'to cut to the chase' or 'cutting to the chase'.

    b

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] data checking, data check, or data checks
    By uktous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 23-Mar-2010, 11:22
  2. Data - Plural or Singular
    By paul4567 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 21-Oct-2009, 11:41
  3. [General] (plurar) fruit, fruits
    By vil in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-Oct-2008, 18:31
  4. Singular & Plurar Quiz
    By DelmaCherry in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-Feb-2006, 17:00
  5. Plurar or singular?
    By jennypierre in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-Dec-2005, 05:59

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •