• Bengali; Bangla
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Which ones are appropriate?

Which ones of these are appropriate?

1. "All you have to do to get the job done is go & talk to him"

In the case above, would it be appropriate to insert "that" into the sentence & re-write it like

"All you have to do to get the job done is that go & talk to him"??

Similarly, would it be appropriate to write

"All I know is that he didn't steal"

instead of

"All I know is he didn't steal"?

2. Is the sentence below correct?

"All you have to do to get the job done is you have to go & talk to him"

I was wondering if I had to write the "is you have to" part after I had already mentioned "All you have to" at the beginning of the sentence.

Should I, instead, remove the "you have to do" part & write it like
    "All you have to do to get the job done is go & talk to him"?

3. Is "I got married with" or "I got married to" correct?

And also, is it appropriate for a guy to say "I got married to that girl" instead of just saying "I married that girl"?

Thanks for taking the time to read.
    Last edited by I'm still learning; 05-Nov-2010 at 18:52.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bengali; Bangla
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Re: Which ones are appropriate?

No answers yet!!! Is everyone here DEAD????

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by I'm still learning View Post
    No answers yet!!! Is everyone here DEAD????
    No.

“Patience is a virtue, Possess it if you can, Seldom found in woman, Never found in man”

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Which ones of these are appropriate?

1. "All you have to do to get the job done is go &and talk to him"

In the case above, would it be appropriate to insert "that" into the sentence & re-write it like as

"All you have to do to get the job done is that go & talk to him"?? NO

Similarly, would it be appropriate to write "All I know is that he didn't steal"

instead of "All I know is he didn't steal"? YES

2. Is the sentence below correct?

"All you have to do to get the job done is you have to go & talk to him"

I was wondering if I had to write the "is you have to" part after I had already mentioned "All you have to" at the beginning of the sentence. YOU DON'T

Should I, instead, remove the "you have to do" part & write it like
    "All you have to do to get the job done is go & talk to him"? YES

3. Is "I got married with" X or "I got married to" correct?

And also, is it appropriate for a guy to say "I got married to that girl" instead of just saying "I married that girl"? YES
    5jj

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bengali; Bangla
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    No.

“Patience is a virtue, Possess it if you can, Seldom found in woman, Never found in man”

Thank God someone is still alive here. Thanks for your answer. You don't know how much it helped me! I was really confused about those & no one seemed to be available here to answer. Usually, it takes one hours or two to get my questions answered. But this time it took pretty long, which is what got me thinking if the "teachers" were ignoring my questions, becuase it has been viewed 70+ times now & only one answer has been given to it. That's why I made that comment.

If you don't mind, I have another question.

In my last post, I had a question about when to write "would be" & when to write "would have been".

What I asked was if I should write "I don't know if you'd ever wanna have a son like me because I too fight with my mom sometimes" or "I don't know if you'd have ever wanted to have a son like me because ....." in a response to the statement "My beloved, you're the kind of son my sons should be, but they aren't".

Then I was told something about "imaginary past" & "imaginary future".

Would you please clarify these points? How would I know when to write "would ever want to" & when to write "would have ever wanted to"?

Sorry if it has been lengthy.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to read & reply.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

T I was really confused about those & no one seemed to be available here to answer. Usually, it takes one hours or two to get my questions answered. But this time it took pretty long, which is what got me thinking if the "teachers" were ignoring my questions, becuase it has been viewed 70+ times now & only one answer has been given to it. That's why I made that comment.
    It's just a matter of luck sometimes. Many of us have limited time, and we tend to pick out the answers that have some connection with our own area of expertise and/or personal interest. We are also human and have normal human weaknesses. I was about to deal with your original post when I saw your: No answers yet!!! Is everyone here DEAD???. My reaction was to post you my little homily on patience and then go off to deal with other, less demanding people first.

If you don't mind, I have another question. fine

In my last post,[...] what I asked was if I should write "I don't know if you'd ever wanna have a son like me because I too fight with my mom sometimes" or "I don't know if you'd have ever wanted to have a son like me because ....." in a response to the statement "My beloved, you're the kind of son my sons should be, but they aren't".

Then I was told something about "imaginary past" & "imaginary future".

Would you please clarify these points? How would I know when to write "would ever want to" & when to write "would have ever wanted to"?
    Do you want to have a son...? A question about your present wants.

Will you want to have a son...? A question about your future wants.

Would you want to have a son...? A question about your hypothetical wants. This may make more sense to you if we add a conditional clause that was perhaps in the speaker's mind at the time of asking the question, such as: if you had the chance. Some people might describe this situation as 'imaginary future'.

Would you have wanted to have a son..? A question about a counterfactual past. The assumption is a shared belief that, in the past, you did not want to have a son. Once again, this may make more sense if we add a conditional clause that was perhaps in the speaker's mind at the time of asking the question, such as: if you had had the chance. The shared assumption here is that you did not have the chance. Some people might describe this situation as 'imaginary past'.

You example begins with I don't know if. This makes no difference to what I have written above, except that this construction precedes an affirmative verb construction, not a question form.

I don't know if do you want.. I don't know if you want.
    I don't know if will you want. I don't know if you will want.
    I don't know if would you want. I don't know if you would want.
    I don't know if would you have wanted. I don't know if you would have wanted.