Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Aitch & Haitch

There's an article on the BBC website that suggests that the pronunciation haitch for the letter H is gaining ground among younger speakers. There are many contentious issues in the English language, but I can't think of one that is as venomous as the pronunciation of this letter, with people on both sides expressing hate for the other.

Click here to read the full article

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hif you have read some hof my contributions to hother threads, you will have realised that Hi am fairly liberal hin my attitude to neologisms, changes hin usage, new pronunciations, hetc.

Has han hopen-minded, tolerant liberal, Hi have no hesitation hat hall hin saying that people who refer to the heighth letter hof the alphabet has haitch should have their tongues hacked hout hand sliced thinly hin front hof their heyes. Hanyone who disagrees with this considered hopinion should suffer similar punishment.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
There are many contentious issues in the English language, but I can't think of one that is as venomous as the pronunciation of this letter, with people on both sides expressing hate for the other.
or 'ate for each, as the case may be.
I have no venom for haitch-sayers, but I say 'aitch', as do all educated and compliant Australians of my age. The point in the article about hypercorrectness is probably right.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Many regions and groups use it- I think quite a lot of it is class, which could account for the strength of feeling about the issue. It's very common in London, for instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.