Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Malay
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
South Korea
I am a biggest fan of fantasy-based novel especially the one that we all called Harry Potter series. The problem is I have been trying to find another similar fantasy novel but it seems that it didn't really meet my expectation.

However, I have tried:
1) Percy Jackson series (this is an excellent series)
2) Twilight series (the story was interesting)
3) The Lord of The Rings (What more can I say)
4) Classical ones such as Wizard of Oz, Pinocchio etc.
5) The Mysterious Benedict Society (Wow, this series is simply spectacular)

Could someone give any suggestion about what kind of book that I should consider buying?
I am considering the Sookie Stackhouse and Guardians of Ga'hoole series but haven't made my mind yet ;-)

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I loved Percy Jackson, and you may be happy to know that the author has two new series in the works. One is also about he half-bloods and the first book is called The Lost Hero. The other is about Egyptian gods instead of Greek gods, and the first book is called The Red Pyramid. I devoured the latter in two days. The former is going to be released soon, if it's not out already.

The Sookie series is just great. It's funny as well (unlike the HBO series based on it, which is extremely vulgar and violent). It gets darker as they go along, but I just loved them. Be aware there is a bit of sex in them, which is not the case in any of the others you mentioned.

My daughter is reading the Guardian series and seems to like it. They both really are enjoying the series that starts with Magyk (Amazon.com: Magyk (Septimus Heap, Book 1) (9780060577315): Angie Sage, Mark Zug: Books: Reviews, Prices & more).

Based on what you said above, I'd recommend the Magyk one first.

Eden Darien

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Malay
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
South Korea
Woohooo Thanks Barb_D..

I am so into young-adults-themes novels nowadays. I used to love classical, I read almost all Shakespeare's plays, I loved Sherlock Holmes, I have read Charles Dickens and so many heavy novels. It just because Harry Potter was so amazingly well-written (fyi I consider it as a magnum opus :up:), I started picking up all the similar books: Percy Jackson etc.

I saw magyk the other day but didn't buy it because I bought Charlie Bone instead. Now after reading your recommendation, I think I would go for it...

It just that I saw the Guardians film 3 days ago and was so thrilled by it. The film looked seriously promising. It has 15 consecutive books so could you please describe more about the series? I don't want to stop in the middle just like what had happened after I read Narnia. I know it is one of the greatest children books, but it just like mmmpphh I don't know how to describe it... it just didn't appeal that much to me.. :-?

PS: The other Rick Riordan books are on the way YAHOOO

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Also, it wasn't my cup of tea, but The Hunger Games and its two follow-ups are immensely popular.

I like the YA reading too. It has serious enough topics but flies along at a rapid pace. I read those because my kids were reading them, but I got to the Red Pyramid first.

Eden Darien

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Malay
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
South Korea
Thanks Barb_D :up:

Evil Anagram

Member Type
Academic
Another great fantasy author is Terry Pratchett. If you like great fantasy novels that offer hilarious insights into modern life, read one of his Discworld novels. I'm guessing that the Tiffany Aching books would appeal to you the most, as they're his YA books. They start with The Wee Free Men and continue in A Hat Full of Sky, and Wintersmith. I Shall Wear Midnight also came out quite recently. The novels focus on a precocious young girl named Tiffany who starts out her journey to becoming a witch by venturing into the fey lands with an iron frying pan and some sturdy boots. Pratchett's other YA novel is The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents, which is a take on the Pied Piper and Puss in Boots. Of course, I've read 37 of the 38 Discworld novels, and there's not a single one I wouldn't recommend.

Last edited:

tarabel

Member Type
English Teacher
Have you tried 'The Alchemyst'( the story of the immortal Nicholas Flamel) by Michael Scott, it is a six series story. 2nd book called ' the Magician' and 3rd 'The Necromancer' is just out. They are printed by Doubleday and are available in 25 different languages on Amazon.

They have got fantastic reviews ::up:

Eden Darien

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Malay
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
South Korea
Now., I've got headache hehe :lol:

So many good books to read.. And I just bought some books from a list called 1000 books you have to read before you die (I have read some of them)

I just wish I could read all of them before I literally died.. :lol:

Jay Louise

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am a biggest fan of fantasy-based novel especially the one that we all called Harry Potter series. The problem is I have been trying to find another similar fantasy novel but it seems that it didn't really meet my expectation.

However, I have tried:
1) Percy Jackson series (this is an excellent series)
2) Twilight series (the story was interesting)
3) The Lord of The Rings (What more can I say)
4) Classical ones such as Wizard of Oz, Pinocchio etc.
5) The Mysterious Benedict Society (Wow, this series is simply spectacular)

Could someone give any suggestion about what kind of book that I should consider buying?
I am considering the Sookie Stackhouse and Guardians of Ga'hoole series but haven't made my mind yet ;-)

I've enjoyed Terry Goodkind's Wizard's First Rule and his Sword of Truth books. These have been turned into a television series that is produced in New Zealand (I think). The show is called Legend of the Seeker.

Terry Brooks has written a number of series of books which are good. There are 4 books in the Shannara series, 4 more in the Heritage of Shannara series, another 3 in the High Druid of Shannara. He does a decent job of making each book stand on its own merits but it could be confusing if you didn't realize there was a progression and read a couple of them at random.

Velo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sorry, but I could not recommend Twilight to anyone. The grammar, word choice, and sentence structure is very poor in parts and personally I find the sick, twisted, abusive relationships... disturbing, to say the least.

You might enjoy The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. I find the prose quite wonderful and descriptive. It's the first in a series known as The Kingkiller Chroncicle, but the rest haven't been released yet.

It's a bit childish, but as a kid I always loved the Goosebumps series of books by R. L. Stine. It was the Harry Potter of its day. I truly regret selling off my collection of them at a yard sale.

Last edited:

Eden Darien

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Malay
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
South Korea
I have read some negative comments about Twilight saga. I have to say that they are not the best-written books available but on the other hand I have to admit that the plot was quite intriguing. I wasn't into vampire-related-love novels that much in the past but Twilight lead me into other vampire related series Charlaine Harris, and Anne Rice just to name a few.. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.