Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
A:Residents celebrated the news by firing indiscriminately.

B: (humorously)They probably ran out of tape.

What does B mean by "They ran out of tape"???

Thanks a lot.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
A:Residents celebrated the news by firing indiscriminately.

B: (humorously)They probably ran out of tape.

What does B mean by "They ran out of tape"???

Thanks a lot.
I can't imagine. Is there any more context?

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
I can't imagine. Is there any more context?

Yes. B said after that : They found they have no more tapes and they can't record it.

I don't know if they are speaking about video tapes! If so, what that has anything to do with firing people... as if he says "they found no video tapes and they can't record it. So they fired haphazardly"!!!

Thanks.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Yes. B said after that : They found they have no more tapes and they can't record it.

I don't know if they are speaking about video tapes! If so, what that has anything to do with firing people... as if he says "they found no video tapes and they can't record it. So they fired haphazardly"!!!

Thanks.
The necessary context is more likely to come from before A's line; and from knowing where this 2 line dialogue came from, or what the news was. "Context" doesn't have to mean "more of the conversation".

I agree with your interpretation, but I think you might be misinterpreting the word "indiscriminately". It's probably used here (perhaps loosely) to mean "firing into the air", ie. not at anything, but not into the crowd. This does seem to be a common method of celebration for people of some cultures.

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
The necessary context is more likely to come from before A's line; and from knowing where this 2 line dialogue came from, or what the news was. "Context" doesn't have to mean "more of the conversation".

I agree with your interpretation, but I think you might be misinterpreting the word "indiscriminately". It's probably used here (perhaps loosely) to mean "firing into the air", ie. not at anything, but not into the crowd. This does seem to be a common method of celebration for people of some cultures.

No, they were firing into the crowd and they mock bec. the news was the New York, New Jersey hasn't recorded one single homicide during 4 months. So the residences celebrated that by firing. They are mocking. I dont' know what any tapes here hve to do with anything!

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
No, they were firing into the crowd and they mock bec. the news was the New York, New Jersey hasn't recorded one single homicide during 4 months. So the residences celebrated that by firing. They are mocking. I dont' know what any tapes here hve to do with anything!
This is a very strange story. What's the source?

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
I don't understand it at all. I wonder if it could make sense of it with reference to Ticker tape - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ...:?:

b

You know, it REALLY makes sense. But then why he says "we can't record it". Can "record" here means "to celebrate" in a way????

Note also that they said "we ran out of "tape" (singular) and not "tapes" if this is of any importance.

Thanks.

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
I got a suggestion. Can you please tell me if I might be right.

May be they have no tape to record this good news of having no homicides. That' why they decided to kill people ?? I mean like "I don't have a tape to record my birthday party. SO I spoiled it by throwing cakes on the floor and stuff" ?? Could it be something like that? I mean he's mocking? Can the structure convey that in a way????

Thanks.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I got a suggestion. Can you please tell me if I might be right.

May be they have no tape to record this good news of having no homicides. That' why they decided to kill people ?? I mean like "I don't have a tape to record my birthday party. SO I spoiled it by throwing cakes on the floor and stuff" ?? Could it be something like that? I mean he's mocking? Can the structure convey that in a way????

Thanks.
This is a very strange story. What's the source?

Status
Not open for further replies.