Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"He was soliciting mineral water to offices in the nearby district." Is it OK with the context? I looked up in a dictionary that one of the defenitions is sell goods by offering them to other people.

OR

"He went to a bar for a couple of drinks that night. He was talking to a good-looking lady when he was busted by police. They thought he was soliciting a prostitute."

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
"He was soliciting mineral water to offices in the nearby district." Is it OK with the context? I looked up in a dictionary that one of the defenitions is sell goods by offering them to other people.
My dictionaries don't give that definition. For me, 'soliciting' always involves some form of asking for, requesting, etc. So, I could say that 'he was soliciting orders for mineral water.'

OR

"He went to a bar for a couple of drinks that night. He was talking to a good-looking lady when he was busted by police. They thought he was soliciting a prostitute." Possibly, though normally it is the prostitute who solicits. 'Soliciting' is, or was, a criminal offence in England. I don't know what the offence is called today.
5jj

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine

I know sometimes defenitions don't work. Sorry. I would appreciate your comment on this one "to solicit"=sell something by taking orders for a product or service, usually by going to people's houses or businesses.

Can we say the following thing?

"He went to the Governor's office to solicit financial aid to fight the aftermath of the tornado." OK?

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I know sometimes def[STRIKE]e[/STRIKE]initions don't work. Sorry. I would appreciate your comment on this one "to solicit"=sell something by taking orders for a product or service, usually by going to people's houses or businesses. Not for me. I can solicit only the order, not the product.

Can we say the following thing?

"He went to the Governor's office to solicit financial aid to fight the aftermath of the tornado." OK? Yes
5jj

Status
Not open for further replies.