American Dialects: Whose pronunciation is most similar to British English?

Status
Not open for further replies.

enthink

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello,

Is there a non-small region in the US in which most people speak a dialect of American English that is very similar to British English as regards pronunciation? If not, which region is the closest?

For example, car would be pronounced more like [ca:] if it was before a consonant (e.g. in "cars" [ca:z]). This is called "linking r," which is a typical British English feature and which is pronounced only when followed by a vowel ("car is").

Thanks!

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
For example, car would be pronounced more like [ca:] if it was before a consonant (e.g. in "cars" [ca:z]). This is called "linking r," which is a typical British English feature and which is pronounced only when followed by a vowel ("car is").
Accents that have this feature are called non-rhotic. Most American accents are rhotic (they don't have this feature). An example of a non-rhotic American accent is the Boston accent. Also some speakers of Southern American English are non-rhotic, but their number is decreasing. You should note however that, whereas British accents are indeed mostly non-rhotic too, it doesn't mean that those American accents are "British-like". They are not, it's just one feature they have in common. There are many other features.

Bear in mind that American accents have a long history. Last time many Americans spoke British English was some 200 (?) years ago. Many changes have happened in both American and British English since then. Some features of Early Modern English have survived in American English, while they have been dropped in British English (and the other way around).

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I can't say that I have come across American pronunciation that is very similar to British- some regional varieties may be less dis-similar, but the differences are fairly apparent. With the geographical separation, you are less likely to find the gradations you get where the borders are side-by-side.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Just a very general observation, but parts of New England (the upper-most pink parts of this map) use the non-rhotic accent, and also tend to add an "r" sound to words ending in the letter "a", as do many BrE speakers. (For example, President John F. Kennedy, a Boston native, was often mocked due to his pronunciation of "Cuba" as "Cuber.") :-D

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Just a very general observation, but parts of New England (the upper-most pink parts of this map) use the non-rhotic accent, and also tend to add an "r" sound to words ending in the letter "a", as do many BrE speakers. (For example, President John F. Kennedy, a Boston native, was often mocked due to his pronunciation of "Cuba" as "Cuber.") :-D
Which is called "intrusive R". A good example was given lately on this forum: YouTube - Tim Minchin - Some people have it worse than I ("Banda Aceh" pronounced like "Bandar Aceh", 2:45)

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I think it's different. It's not an intrusive 'r' if it comes at the end of a sentence or before a consonant, which I think is what Ouisch is suggesting.
I agree. If the "R" came before a consonant it would be a different phenomenon. I've never heard of it, interesting!

Status
Not open for further replies.