• Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

• Post Thanks / Like

away message (Twitter)

Hi everybody!
    I'm reading a book about Twitter and there is the following sentence:

We should have seen Twitter coming. After all, one of the most popular elements of the instant message craze is the "away message", which gives users te opportunity to tell people what they are doing (a bit like a text version of a telephone voicemail greeting).

I'm trying to translate this sentence into Italian but I have some problems with the meaning "away message" because I think it is usually used to tell the people that "we are away", not "what we are doing". Is there a Twetter user that can give me a synonym of this phrase in order to help me to translate it? Thanks a lot in advance.
    S

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: away message (Twitter)

Quote Originally Posted by sonyet View Post
    Hi everybody!
    I'm reading a book about Twitter and there is the following sentence:

We should have seen Twitter coming. After all, one of the most popular elements of the instant message craze is the "away message", which gives users te opportunity to tell people what they are doing (a bit like a text version of a telephone voicemail greeting).

I'm trying to translate this sentence into Italian but I have some problems with the meaning "away message" because I think it is usually used to tell the people that "we are away", not "what we are doing". Is there a Twetter user that can give me a synonym of this phrase in order to help me to translate it? Thanks a lot in advance.
    S
    There are differences, obviously between Twitter and what Microsoft calls on 'Out-of-office' message; but there can be a similarity. In the days when I used OoO messages, I would often say something brief about what I would be doing. I'm away, catching a few rays on the Algarve. For urgent enquiries...

b

PS My point is that one doesn't have to be a user of Twitter to form an opinion about this similarity. It seems to me that it's a fairly vacuous statement about one-to-many electronic communications.
    Last edited by BobK; 07-Nov-2010 at 13:22. Reason: Added PS