• Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

concoction

"What was that strong drink we were drinking at the party?"

"It was a concoction of beer,rum and gin."

Is it a word that would make people take a dictionary and look it up in it?

Concoction=mix?
    Last edited by ostap77; 07-Nov-2010 at 13:23.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: concoction

Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    "What was that strong drink we were drinking at the party?"

"It was a concoction of beer,rum and gyn."

Is it a word that would make people take a dictionary and look it up in it?

Concoction=mix?
    If that question had come from a newbie, ostap, it might have been worth responding to.

You have 1,213 postings to your name. Why are you still asking questions like this?

There are newcomers to this forum who have genuine problems with English. They need the limited time of people who can respond to their questions. Experienced people such as you can pick up a dictionary, or use google efficently, and answer the question before you have time to send them to this forum.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I would not need a dictionary to look it up. Neither would most speakers of English that I know. In the US, the word is spelled gin, not gyn. I don't know about elsewhere.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    I would not need a dictionary to look it up. Neither would most speakers of English that I know. In the US, the word is spelled gin, not gyn. I don't know about elsewhere.
    When I said "look it up in a dictionary" I was refering to the European Union apart from Ireland and GB. In some countries they might not speak German or French but they are likely to speak English. So I was wandering if it's a frequently used word?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    If that question had come from a newbie, ostap, it might have been worth responding to.

You have 1,213 postings to your name. Why are you still asking questions like this?

There are newcomers to this forum who have genuine problems with English. They need the limited time of people who can respond to their questions. Experienced people such as you can pick up a dictionary, or use google efficently, and answer the question before you have time to send them to this forum.
    I realize I may have been incorrect by asking too many simple questions. The reason is that I was wandering if it's frequently used and would be understood in other EU countries apart from GB and Ireland.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

It should involve cooking - whenever I've met it. It can be used metaphorically, to mean 'made up'/'fabricated'... 'The witness and the accused have concocted a pack of lies', which - less grandiloquently - translates as '... have cooked up a pack of lies'.

b
    PS 'I was wondering...' (with /ʌ /)- wandering (with /ɒ/ ) is something else - confusing/ I know, as 'o' frequently makes the /ɒ/ sound.