• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Pull ahead/away/across

If you don't mind, I'm going to pull ahead.

Can I use "pull" for moving in a particular & fixed direction?

Could you teach me how to use the phrase "pull across"?

Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Costa Rica

Re: Pull ahead/away/across

If you don't mind, I'm going to pull ahead. (I'm going to move/drive my car/boat forward from where I am now to a second position - I have not heard this used in reference to airplanes, but it is probably acceptable. I only recall hearing it used WITHOUT reference to a vehicle when in reference to a runner who "pulls ahead of the pack" [moves ahead of the group of runners] or perhaps a shopping cart.)

Can I use "pull" for moving in a particular & fixed direction? (No, you cannot say "I am in Beijing and I am pulling to Shanghai" or "The bicycle is pulling up the hill." The verb "pull" means "moving in a particular and fixed direction from one position/location to another", only when used with certain prepositions. "I am going to pull out my car." [My car is parked, and I am going to move it.] "The dentist pulled out the tooth." (He removed the tooth.) "I pulled my car up to the the white line." [Before my car was in another location. I moved it from where it was and now it at the white line.] "The policeman asked me to pull over." [The policeman told me to move my car to the side of the highway and stop.]

Could you teach me how to use the phrase "pull across"? (You are on the western side of a highway and you plan to move to the eastern side. You are going "to pull across the highway.") (You are standing on one side of a line, and I am standing on the other. You pull me, and I pull you. I am trying to pull you across the line, and you are trying to pull me across the line.)