• Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

plz help me understand this passage

The following passage is from a SAT preparation book

For those of us who are the product of two or more culture in conflict, it is a great challenge to reconcile the past with the present; to interrupt the flow of rage and indignation over cities, sons, patience and passions lost… in time to observe a redemptive mourning. It is a challenge, but also a process, which carries us toward a clearer and more affirmative understanding of our position within the human community and how singularly remarkable it is. After all, cultural conflict is an inevitable part of human interaction, but it need not produce, as it has in Americas, whole societies of people whose ancestors mated with their enemies. For, we should not forget how extraordinary this is; how remarkable is the world we inhabit…even as we complain of the burden of juggling contradictory religious traditions and socio-cultural obligations.

Admittedly, for many people in the Americas today the large scale colonialism of the 16th and 17th centuries continues to make itself felt in internal contradictions and conflicts that are very difficult to resolve. Colonialism has created divided persons and societies whose contradictory interests must be balanced. But this is neither theft nor conquest. Native American blood mingles in the veins of the descendents of Conquisidors. African tribal rhythms are enticed out of instruments invented for European kings. Irish lyricality has been wed to the precision of Chinese mathematics. Because desire has no ethnicity ( or, at the very least, cannot be circumscribed by it), human populations have intermarried and mixed to such an extent that the Americas are now almost entirely heterogeneous. Within a single community, ten or twenty ethnicities are often represented. Within a big city school system, one hundred and twenty languages may be spoken. Difference has become the norm throughout the New World, and all because 16th century treasure-seekers wished to extend their cultural and religious domination
    I suppose, no matter how voracious, history can always satisfy one’s desire for irony.

• the tone of this passage may be most nearly described as
    A pessimistic
    B analytical
    C exhortative
    D hopeful
    E angry

I choose B but the answer key is D. what does the author hope?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: plz help me understand this passage

The author hopes that even though there are cultures that have historically been in conflict, we can move beyond them as individual have done by marrying without regard for whether our great-great-grandfathers would have hated each other.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

This's another passage that I'm not quite understand

From the hour Catherine came downstairs until the hour she went to bed, the family had not a minute’s security that she would not be in mischief. Her spirits were always at high-water mark, her tongue always going singing, laughing, and plaguing everyone who would not do the same. A wild, wicked slip she was-but she had the bonniest eye, the sweetest smile, and lightest foot in the parish: and none could believe she meant any harm, for when once she made you cry in good earnest, it seldom happened that she would not keep you company, and oblige you to be quiet that you might comfort her.

1. It can be inferred from the passage that Catherine’s emotional state was
    A characterized by highs and lows
    B consistent throughout the day
    C readily affected by criticism
    D indifferent to other’s suffering
    E the result of emotional abuse

I chose E but the answer key is B. I thought her emotional abuse is going singing, laughing, and plaguing everyone
    Last edited by san2612; 24-Dec-2010 at 14:51.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

E does not say that she CAUSED emotional abuse, but that her upbeat nature was a RESULT of emotional abuse.

It was also an ironic use of "plagued" to say that being around someone who is laughing and singing is plaguing you. It's not real abuse.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

I don't understand the last sentence : "when once she made you cry in good earnest, it seldom happened that she would not keep you company, and oblige you to be quiet that you might comfort her."