Motivation to Become Physician Assistant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klangford

Member Type
Student or Learner
I am applying to Physician Assistant programs for my masters. I really need some help with my personal statement. Any advise on how to make it flow better? Any grammar or word choice correction? I would appreciate any and all help! Thank you for your time!

I find pleasure in what some would consider an arduous task. For instance I love running. I believe my desire to run is similar to my aspirations to become a Physician Assistant. There is more to running than sheer physical fitness. It is a true test of mind and body. Training for races involves setting long-term goals that are gradually yet persistently worked towards on a daily basis. It involves researching and implementing the most effective workouts through trial and error. Like running, the position of a Physicians Assistant offers daily challenges, requires dedication and research, and provides an outlet to exercise my mind.

Aside from these, my affection for science is a strong motivator in my pursuit to be a PA. I’ll always remember learning about the organ systems in freshman year of college. I was captivated by the lectures and gawked in amazement as I dissected the plumpest rat in the laboratory. I also seized the opportunity to teach anyone who was confused and my enthusiasm quickly caught hold of the class. Later, in my college career I explored my keen interest for science further by working with a professor on kidney research and effects cadmium.

Even when times were rough and finances were tight, my unrelenting ambition to become a physician assistant did not waver. I became an elderly woman’s caretaker and lived in her basement in order to remain in college. I helped her manage her diabetes. She was fairly ill, yet full of zeal, and reminded me of my Grandfather.

My grandfather, Bill, was my best friend and the most influential person in my life. I was at his side until his last breath, when doctors worked frantically to save him. Their admirable efforts provided him with more time on earth than was originally anticipated. I was extremely grateful and inspired. After this experience, I undoubtedly knew that my goal to be a Physicians Assistant was not only due to my interest in science or the intellectual challenge, but also due to my desire to help people in need and have a positive impact on the lives of others.

To further pursue my interest I shadowed and volunteered extensively. My first experience was in the Emergency Room. I found the environment exhilarating and enjoyed the alacrity in problem solving and decision-making. This experience elicited a desire to expand and explore different healthcare settings.

Next, I shadowed Physicians, Residents, Physician Assistants, and Nurses in internal medicine at a local hospital. Along with more medical knowledge, I was able to gain insight and a deeper understanding of a variety of healthcare professions that further solidified my decision to become a PA. My observership inspired me to remain in the hospital and become a volunteer. This enabled me to gain exposure to a variety of specialties while helping through direct patient care. In Labor and Delivery, I helped with the breastfeeding initiative, which educated woman on the benefits of breastfeeding and sought to raise the local breastfeeding rates. I really enjoyed watching births and I remember the satisfaction I felt offering a helpful hand to expecting mothers.

After much experience in the hospital I ventured out to private practices. My experience in Labor and Delivery inspired me to shadow Dr. Guirguis an OB/GYN. I realized the importance of bedside manner as I observe and emulated the doctor and patient interactions. Next, I shadowed Dr. LoCicero, a primary care physician in her private practice. I learned that when providing information such as tests result the delivery even more important than the information itself.

I believe I possess the qualities and experience necessary to be great Physician Assistant. With my motivation and dedication I am fully prepare to face the challenges as a Physician Assistant.

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Welcome to the board, K.

You are not being ignored; I keep looking at your statement and thinking about it, but it's rather long and I'll need more time to edit it fully. This reply will also serve to bump it up for others to tackle if they're so inclined.

Four things to think about:

1. Separate your paragraphs with an extra space to break up that rather solid mass of text.

2. Job titles are not normally capitalised, though PA is acceptable as an abbreviation for physician assistant (in this context).

3. You have written physician assistant much too often.

4. Enlarge the font for the benefit of those with ageing vision.

Rover

Klangford

Member Type
Student or Learner
Thanks for your help Rover! I really appreciate it. I will think about how to mention the word physician assistant less first thing tomorrow. Thanks again.

-Kristin

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You need to be consistent with your use of physician/physicians assistant. You have used both. I have changed them all to the same.

I find pleasure in what some would consider an arduous task. For instance I love running. I believe my desire to run is similar to my aspirations to become a physician assistant. There is more to running than sheer physical fitness. It is a true test of mind and body. Training for races involves setting long-term goals that are gradually yet persistently worked towards on a daily basis. It involves researching and implementing the most effective workouts through trial and error. Like running, the position of a physician assistant offers daily challenges, requires dedication and research, and provides an outlet to exercise my mind.

Aside from these, my affection for science is a strong motivator in my pursuit to be a PA. I’ll always remember learning about the organ systems in freshman year of college. I was captivated by the lectures and gawped in amazement as I dissected the plumpest rat in the laboratory. I also seized the opportunity to teach anyone who was confused and my enthusiasm quickly caught hold of the class. Later, in my college career I explored my keen interest for science further by working with a professor on kidney research and the effects of cadmium.

Even when times were rough and finances were tight, my unrelenting ambition to become a physician assistant did not waver. I became an elderly woman’s caretaker and lived in her basement in order to remain in college. I helped her manage her diabetes. She was fairly ill, yet full of zeal, and reminded me of my grandfather.

My grandfather, Bill, was my best friend and the most influential person in my life. I was at his side until his last breath, when doctors worked frantically to save him. Their admirable efforts provided him with more time on earth than was originally anticipated. I was extremely grateful and inspired. After this experience, I undoubtedly knew that my goal to be a physician assistant was not only due to my interest in science or the intellectual challenge, but also due to my desire to help people in need and have a positive impact on the lives of others.

To further pursue my interest I shadowed a number of medical professionals and volunteered extensively. My first experience was in the Emergency Room. I found the environment exhilarating and enjoyed the need for alacrity in problem solving and decision-making. This experience elicited a desire to expand and explore different healthcare settings.

Next, I shadowed physicians, residents, physician assistants, and nurses in internal medicine at a local hospital. Along with more medical knowledge, I was able to gain an insight into and a deeper understanding of a variety of healthcare professions that further reinforced my decision to become a PA. My observership inspired me to remain in the hospital and become a volunteer. This enabled me to gain exposure to a variety of specialties while helping through direct patient care. In Labor and Delivery, I helped with the breastfeeding initiative, which educated women on the benefits of breastfeeding and sought to raise the local breastfeeding rates. I really enjoyed watching births and I remember the satisfaction I felt offering a helpful hand to expecting mothers.

After much experience in the hospital I ventured out to private practices. My experience in Labor and Delivery inspired me to shadow Dr. Guirguis, an OB/GYN. I realized the importance of a bedside manner as I observed and emulated the doctor/ patient interactions. Next, I shadowed Dr. LoCicero, a primary care physician in her private practice. I learned that when providing information such as tests results the delivery was even more important than the information itself.

I believe I possess the qualities and experience necessary to be great physician assistant. With my motivation and dedication I am fully prepared to face the challenges of the profession.

Good luck,

Rover

Last edited:

pkubin

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi, I'm a PA student, and I thought you might be interested in a resource. It is my own, but the information seems relevant, and best of all, it's free. If I read the forum rules correctly, this info seems in keeping with the rules (admin, please let me know if I'm wrong about that).

If you want an inside look at PA school, I invite you to check out my co-written blog, Inside PA Training, about my schooling at UC Davis School of Medicine's PA program. Just google "Inside PA Training." There is an article on the blog that addresses just how to create a winning PA school application essay.

Good Luck to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.