Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi, there. I need some help with these problems. And thanks a lot.:)
1. If somebody wins the game, should I say in the first place or in first place? eg: She came out first in the exam. Is it right to say she was in the first place?
2. How should I write a fraction? Such as 1/3, one third or one-third?
3. How should I write '800m race', 800 meters race, 800 meter race or 800-meter race?

Vicksta

Member Type
English Teacher
Hi,

I think the following are the correct answers to your questions (please bare in mind this is just my opinion)

1) you would say 'She won first place' or 'She came first in the exam'. You wouldn't say 'She won 'the' first place'
2) I would write 1/3 or 1:3 if you are referring to mathematical terms. it would not be incorrect to write 'one third'
3) I would write 800m race. This is as long as everyone knows the 'm' signifies metres. If you want to write the full version it would be '800 metre race' (without the 's'). Please note American way of spelling is meter, UK way is metre.

Hope this helps
Vicksta

lovecindy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi,

I think the following are the correct answers to your questions (please bare in mind this is just my opinion)

1) you would say 'She won first place' or 'She came first in the exam'. You wouldn't say 'She won 'the' first place'
2) I would write 1/3 or 1:3 if you are referring to mathematical terms. it would not be incorrect to write 'one third'
3) I would write 800m race. This is as long as everyone knows the 'm' signifies metres. If you want to write the full version it would be '800 metre race' (without the 's'). Please note American way of spelling is meter, UK way is metre.

Hope this helps
Vicksta

Thank you so much!
So I should say she was in first place in the exam, right? And I'd like to know the full English versions of 1/3 and 800m race. One third and 800 metre race are right.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I would write 1/3 or 1:3 if you are referring to mathematical terms.
Nice to have you on the board, Vicksta. A new teacher-contributor is always welcome.

I'm afraid I disagree about 1:3. This is a ratio (1 to 3), not a fraction.

Rover:)

Status
Not open for further replies.