Results 1 to 4 of 4
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

    • Join Date: Feb 2008
    • Posts: 1,638
    #1

    prove a case

    Hi

    If someone "proves her/his case" in court, does it mean they show that they are right about something?

  1. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #2

    Re: prove a case

    Quote Originally Posted by GUEST2008 View Post
    Hi

    If someone "proves her/his case" in court, does it mean they show that they are right about something?
    A little more: to show that what they are saying is true by using evidence, facts, etc

  2. Munch's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Aug 2010
    • Posts: 479
    #3

    Re: prove a case

    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    A little more: to show that what they are saying is true by using evidence, facts, etc
    I basically agree with you but this question made me wonder something. If a person I know was found not guilty but I have to reason to think that they did commit the crime in question, is it OK to say something like, "Although Bob proved his case in court, I know he killed that woman." (Sorry to any Bobs out there!)

    There certainly are cases where having proved your case in court does not mean you are right in actual fact. I think we can still say, "proved his case in court" in these cases, even if a criminal walked free, or an innocent person went to prison. What do you think?
    Last edited by Munch; 11-Nov-2010 at 10:56.

  3. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #4

    Re: prove a case

    Quote Originally Posted by Munch View Post
    I basically agree with you but this question made me wonder something. If a person I know was found not guilty but I have to reason to think that they did commit the crime in question, is it OK to say something like, "Although Bob proved his case in court, I know he killed that woman." (Sorry to any Bobs out there!)

    There certainly are cases where having proved your case it court does not mean you are right in actual fact. I think we can still say, "proved his case in court" in these cases, even if a criminal walked free, or an innocent person went to prison. What do you think?
    I agree. I think the point is here that in court it is necessary to prove beyond all shadow of reasonable doubt that a person has committed a crime. Proof in trials is not as absolute as in science or mathematics.

Similar Threads

  1. After colon: upper case or lower case?
    By Nightmare85 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-Jan-2010, 12:56
  2. [Grammar] Subjective case or objective case of pronoun?
    By viveklekhi in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 21-Feb-2009, 06:43
  3. prove you it
    By norwolf in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-Jan-2009, 03:02
  4. prove (to be)
    By norwolf in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15-Dec-2008, 17:42
  5. to prove
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 25-Feb-2007, 01:47

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •