• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

pork barrel

Dear teachers,

Would you tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expression in bold in the following sentence?

Since time immemorial the pork barrel has been rolled out in Congress and each of the lawgivers has bargained for his share and the gratitude of his constituents.

pork barrel = a lucrative job; a government project or appropriation that yields jobs or other benefits to a specific locale and patronage opportunities to its political representative; “a government cheese”

In the United States the term “government cheese” has been used, sometimes derisively, to describe government assistance, monetary or otherwise, given to those who are considered to be perpetually dependent on financial help; for example, a person receiving such aid could be said to "live on Government Cheese."

Thanks for your efforts.

Regards,

V

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Re: pork barrel

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expression in bold in the following sentence?

Since time immemorial the pork barrel has been rolled out in Congress and each of the lawgivers has bargained for his share and the gratitude of his constituents.

pork barrel = a lucrative job; a government project or appropriation that yields jobs or other benefits to a specific locale and patronage opportunities to its political representative; “a government cheese”

In the United States the term “government cheese” has been used, sometimes derisively, to describe government assistance, monetary or otherwise, given to those who are considered to be perpetually dependent on financial help; for example, a person receiving such aid could be said to "live on Government Cheese."

Thanks for your efforts.

Regards,

V
    Your interpretation of pork barrel is correct in terms of projects and appropriations, but I've never heard it used in terms of a lucrative job. It is not used synonymously with government cheese. The latter term refers to cheese, given by the government as part of a package of surplus food, to needy people. I've also never heard it used in the context in which you have used it. "Sometimes derisively" in your post should probably read "always derisively." People who receive government benefits such as this are usually looked down upon by others who are more fortunate.