if someone calls a person "brokeback", what does he mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xiaoxiaomuyu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
i found this expression in the Ballad of The Sad Cafe, which was written in the 1950s when the novel BrokebackMoutain had not yet come up.

so in the English culture, if someone calls a person "brokeback", what does he possibly mean?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I googled your Ballad of the Sad Cafe, and found that one of the characters is a hunchback.

So: brokeback = hunchback.

Munch

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Japan
According to Wikitionary, your example is the first recorded use of "brokeback". I presume Carson McCullers did not invent it though. I would guess it is a southern US regionalism.

If it Wikitionary is correct, it means "hunchback" - a person whose back is so bad they are permanently bent over.

By the way, if you can understand Carson McCullers you are doing well. As a native (Australian) English speaker, I sometimes have to re-read her sentences because of unfamiliar phrasing or vocabulary.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
And 'Brokeback Mountain' (the geographical feature) was presumably so named because of the likeness to a physical feature - like 'The Paps of Jura' or many other mountains.

b

PS ...or 'Arthur's Seat' near Edinburgh. I guess that's the furniture rather than the feature, but you never know... (Strange that the first two examples I've found are both in Scotland... But here's an English one: 'The Hog's Back' (south of London - Surrey or Hampshire, I'm not sure.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.