Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Croatian
Home Country
Croatia
Current Location
Italy
I need to translate this sentence and I don't understand the meaning of the underlined part. Can you help?

You managed to escape my fail-safe holding cell - a titanium alloy, seven pin, eight cam lock with three layers of redundancy.

What is "seven pin" and "eight cam lock with 3 layers of redundancy"?

Thanks a lot!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I need to translate this sentence and I don't understand the meaning of the underlined part. Can you help?

You managed to escape my fail-safe holding cell - a titanium alloy, seven pin, eight cam lock with three layers of redundancy.

Thanks a lot!
You asked this question on 12 November. Please do not repeat it 24 hours later just because nobody has answered it yet. If there is somebody who can answer it, they will. If none of us can answer it, repeating it doesn't help anyone. Double-posting simply clogs the system.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It's clearly a highly sophisticated and intricate state-of-the-art lock.

You could translate it like that, as the technical details are obviously only of interest to locksmiths and go way over the head of other readers.

Rover

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

Thanks a lot!
Seven Pin Lock-Seven Pin Lock Manufacturers, Suppliers and Exporters on alibaba.com AU

Three layers of redundancy suggests that if one mechanism doesn't work, another will (2 layers); if both are cracked, there's a 3rd layer of security.
(I think; technically only two of these mechanisms would be redundant.)

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Seven Pin Lock-Seven Pin Lock Manufacturers, Suppliers and Exporters on alibaba.com AU

Three layers of redundancy suggests that if one mechanism doesn't work, another will (2 layers); if both are cracked, there's a 3rd layer of security.
(I think; technically only two of these mechanisms would be redundant.)

You see what I mean, lucre? That's as clear as mud to me.

If what you are translating is part of a fictional work, go with 'a fiendishly complicated lock'.

If it's a technical text needing precise translation, you've got a problem I don't think we can help you with.

Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.