Results 1 to 3 of 3
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Dutch
      • Home Country:
      • Belgium
      • Current Location:
      • Belgium

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 20
    #1

    Correct use of Apostrophe s in a concrete example

    Hello,

    Is the use of apostrophe s in the sentence below correct or not?

    "The plot of the film was quite different to the book's"

    When I came up with this sentence for a book report, I thought it would be alright as I figured that "the book's" refers to "the plot of the book".

    But when I checked on the internet I couldn't really find another example
    where apostrophe s is used in this way. What's the general rule for sentences like this?

  1. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #2

    Re: Correct use of Apostrophe s in a concrete example

    Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Hello,

    Is the use of apostrophe s in the sentence below correct or not?

    "The plot of the film was quite different to the book's"

    When I came up with this sentence for a book report, I thought it would be alright as I figured that "the book's" refers to "the plot of the book".

    But when I checked on the internet I couldn't really find another example
    where apostrophe s is used in this way. What's the general rule for sentences like this?
    Yes it makes sense.
    I'd write, "The plot of the film was quite different from that of the book." And I think most teachers would rather read this. But I wouldn't call your sentence wrong. As you say, it uses ellipsis.

    You might find the recent threads on "different to/from/than" interesting.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Dutch
      • Home Country:
      • Belgium
      • Current Location:
      • Belgium

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 20
    #3

    Re: Correct use of Apostrophe s in a concrete example

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Yes it makes sense.
    I'd write, "The plot of the film was quite different from that of the book." And I think most teachers would rather read this. But I wouldn't call your sentence wrong. As you say, it uses ellipsis.
    Glad to know that it's acceptable.

    Nevertheless, I'll try to use the phrasing that you suggested from now on.

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    You might find the recent threads on "different to/from/than" interesting.
    Thanks for the tip!
    I've been meaning to dig a little deeper into that matter.

Similar Threads

  1. a concrete reality
    By sky753 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-Apr-2009, 14:40
  2. How to use the correct apostrophe
    By xuanhoang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14-Oct-2008, 03:10
  3. Correct Use of Apostrophe
    By Tracy Huber in forum Frequently Asked Questions
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 02-Dec-2006, 18:16
  4. Correct use of apostrophe
    By rscass in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-Oct-2005, 21:53
  5. Correct use of apostrophe
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14-Sep-2004, 08:15

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •