Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
There was evening and there was morning, one day.
I think there is a mistake in this sentence. Because there should be a word between a comma and the word "one". Am I right?

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I think there is a mistake in this sentence. Because there should be a word between a comma and the word "one". Am I right?
No, you are not right. Why do you think "one" can't follow a comma?

It either has to be you or me, one of us.

Last edited:

ziawj2

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I mean a comma is used in a compound sentence before the conjuction. So I expect it to be:
..., and it is a day.

And I still can't understand why you put a question mark at the end of sentence "you are not right". Do you mean you are not sure?

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I mean a comma is used in a compound sentence before the conjuction. So I expect it to be:
..., and it is a day. But the original sentence is not a compound sentence, and there is no reason to turn it into a compound sentence.

And I still can't understand why you put a question mark at the end of sentence "you are not right". That was a mistake.

acslater017

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I assume that you are quoting from the Bible?

My translation of the Bible says, "And there was evening, and there was morning - the first day". Whether you use a hyphen (-) or a comma (,) the structure implies that "There was evening, and there was morning, therefore it was one day".

In addition, I can't imagine an everyday situation where you'd say "There was evening and there was morning, one day". It is literature and it is poetic. In English, poems do not always conform to spoken, everyday grammar.

Example: There was overspending and too little oversight - a recipe for disaster.

In these contexts, the hyphen and commas mean "it was a..." or "therefore it is..."

Status
Not open for further replies.