Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"If he's good to you and shows no signs of dishonesty, than I'd give him the benefit of the doubt." What does a speaker want to say by ''give the benefit of the doubt"?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
'Put your trust in him.'

Rover

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
'Put your trust in him.'

Rover

I think it is more along the lines of: There may be some doubt in your mind, or in the minds of others, of his honesty. However, if you have no proof at all of his dishonesty, then let him benefit from the assumption that your doubts are unfounded,

The idea perhaps stems from the obligation of a jury not to find someone guilty of a crime unless they are convinced beyond all reasonable doubt of his guilt. If there is any doubt at all that the accused committed the crime, no matter how convinced you might feel personally that he did it, you must give him the benefit of the doubt and find him not guilty.

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Hi Ostap77,

to give someone the benefit of the doubt = 1. to regard someone as innocent until proven otherwise; lean toward a favorable view of someone

If any of the material fats of the case are at variance with the probability of guilt, it will be the duty of you gentlemen to give the defendant the benefit of the doubt raised. (Th. Dreiser, “An American Tragedy”|)

to give someone the benefit of the doubt = 2. to dispel the doubt; to take someone in his words; put trust in him

When I tried to tell her just how I myself regarded her friend, she checked me with an Episcopal gesture “We have to give people the benefit of the doubt”. ()P. H. Johnson, “An Avenue of Stone”)

I’ve been talking to Mrs. Smith. She thinks we ought to give the Minister the benefit of the doubt. (Gr. Greene, “The Comedians”)

V.

Status
Not open for further replies.