• Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

within five times zone

Hi

If somebody says: I didn't want to be within five time zones of the place, does it mean that he wanted to be far, far away from the given place?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: within five times zone

Yes, exactly. At least a continent away, although Russia has more than five time zones, I believe.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

'time zones' as you say in your post, not 'times zone' (as you say in the title). Six time zones is a quarter of the circumference of the Earth, four time zones is a sixth of the circumference, and five is ... a jolly long way.

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    'time zones' as you say in your post, not 'times zone' (as you say in the title). Six time zones is a quarter of the circumference of the Earth, four time zones is a sixth of the circumference, and five is ... a jolly long way.

b
    We've got six time zones in the US, but the Alaska and Hawaii time zones are pretty limited, as you might surmise. Our four major time zones (starting on the East Coast, along the Atlantic Ocean) are Eastern, Central, Mountain and Pacific. Interestingly enough, I live in a suburb of Detroit, which is in the Eastern Standard Time Zone. However, because we are *that* close to the border of the Central Time Zone, a lot of folks in other states presume that we are on the same time as, say, Chicago. I even received a very nasty email in response to a trivia question I'd written for a website years ago which asked "When it is 12 noon in New York City, what time is it in Detroit?" The answer is 12 noon, since both cities fall within the same time zone. However, this particular reader (who lived in New England) wrote me to mock my stupidity and ask how in the world I'd ever gotten a job writing trivia when I didn't know what time zone Michigan was in and it was a wonder that I could dress myself without assistance.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I hope you had your revenge, picturing him telling his friends how he'd told you off and imaging his face when they all said that he was the one who was wrong!
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.