Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Sweden
Hi

For years, he had been handling six crises of international meltdown range at once.

Does this "meltdown" have got any special meaning here?
To me it just means that for years he had to cope with 6 crises of international range at once, that's all.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hi

For years, he had been handling six crises of international meltdown range at once.

Has this "meltdown" any special meaning here?
To me it just means that for years he had to cope with 6 crises of international range at once, that's all.
Where does this come from? I can't imagine what a "crisis of international meltdown range" is.

GUEST2008

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Sweden
It's about a special CIA agent.
Some more context, though I don't know whether it will help:

Now his official home was a specialized piece of that agency that John Q. Public had never heard of and never would. He had two sets of creds: one for the public that showed him to be with Homeland Security and was suitably intimidating; and another set that he showed only to certain fellow federal agents. That evidenced his association with OSM, the Office of Special Matters. It was made up of personnel from five of the major intelligence agencies, though it was controlled by a handful of folks at Langley. "Office of Special Matters" sounded a little hokey, Knox thought, but what they did was far from it. Knox had been up to his ass in "special matters" for years, often handling six crises of international meltdown range at once.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I would hazard a guess that the author of your book was not Jane Austen. ;-)

It appears to mean something like: six crises that were so serious that they might have brought about a new world war.

Status
Not open for further replies.