[Grammar] "Either" or "Too"?? "Aren't they" or "Are they"?(tag)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinbong

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"Either" or "Too"?? "Aren't they" or "Are they"?(tag)

Hi, teachers:

1. I know that "either" is used in negative sentences. But since it's "used to indicate a similarity or link with a statement just made. "(oxford dictionary), what if the previously made statement is a positive sentence but the verb of the second sentence is negative??

Just like the statements I made in my another post:
The sentences sound awkward. (positive sentence.)

And I assume they are not precise either. ("either" or "too"?)

I sort of find "too" acceptable too. because the second sentence is following a positive statement.

2. Some of my thoughts regarding "tags" are posted in the following paragraph . Teachers, please tell me if I understand it correctly.

I know not all tags negate the preceding sentences. Sometimes they are "positive". My understanding is, in such cases, "positive tags" are actually not regular "tags". Instead , they're new questions, and they have totally different connotations with the regular "negative tags"? Do I understand it correctly??

Example:
[edited to redress the typos previously made.]

I assume they are not precise either, are they?
(regular negative tag. rhetorical. Suggesting the speaker is sure of the statement made and just want to confirm it. )

I assume they are not precise either. Aren't they?
(My understanding is: Rigorously speaking, this is not a tag, but a new question. Should use a period to stop the preceding sentence and capitalize the second question. In such cases, the speaker is not sure of the first statement made and is trying to get serious answers from his/her companions. )

Maybe the second sentence sounds odd to native speakers. But I do remember hearing it said by native speakers too. Another example being:

This sentence sounds odd. Does it??(not rhetorical. The speaker is not sure of the first statement and expect an answer from his/her companion)

Does this one sound odd to native speakers too?

Many thanks in advance.:)

Last edited:

abaka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Re: "Either" or "Too"?? "Aren't they" or "Are they"?(tag)

1. "And I assume they are not precise either" is quite good. It's a bit informal, however. So in conversation this sounds even more natural:

And I assume they aren't precise either.

In writing, on the other hand, "moreover", "furthermore", or "also" would be appropriate. Don't begin a sentence with "also":

Furthermore/moreover, I assume that they are not precise.
I assume, furthermore/moreover, that they are not precise.
I assume also that they are not precise.

"Too" is not quite good here.

2. The rhetorical confirmation -- where you are expecting a yes or a no -- is negative for an affirmative sentence, and affirmative for a negative sentence:

I assume they aren't precise either, are they? (expect a NO! -- which means they are NOT precise.).
They are good, aren't they? (expect a YES! -- which means they ARE good.)

"I assume they are not precise either, aren't they?" is a very odd sentence.

pinbong

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

Many thanks, Mr. Abaka.

I just realised I made a horrible mistake. Sorry, sorry sorry....

When posting my question I mixed up something in my head. Actually I was thinking about something totally different.

I assume they are not precise either, are they?
(regular negative tag. Suggesting the speaker is sure of the statement made and just want to confirm it. )

I assume they are not precise either. Aren't they?
(Rigorously speaking, this is not a tag, but a new question. Should use a period to stop the preceding sentence and capitalize the second question. In such cases, the speaker is not sure of the first statement made and is trying to get serious answers from his/her companions. )

OK, now you said the second one was odd. How about another example, does this one sound odd too?

This sentence sounds odd. Does it??(not rhetorical)

I myself speak like this at times. When I'm not sure of the first statement I made and expect an answer from my companion.

abaka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

Even if the question is not rhetorical, This sentence sounds odd. Doesn't it? sounds more natural.

If you really do want to make clear that you are seeking the other person's opinion, say it:

I think this sentence sounds odd. What do you think: does it?

Status
Not open for further replies.