Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I still remember my first class in SMU was IS101 at 8.30 on a Monday morning. I was two minutes late because I was threading through traffic in the morning, got lost while looking for the classroom and not knowing what the abbreviations GSR, SR and CR stood for. After getting into class, I saw the first of many professors that I would encounter in my SMU journey, Professor Jason Woodard.

1. Are the words in bold correctly used?
2. Do I need to place quote marks for the abbreviations.
3. Are there any other errors in the sentences?

Thanks in advance.

abaka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I still remember my first class in SMU was IS101 at 8.30 on a Monday morning. I was two minutes late because I was threading through traffic in the morning, got lost while looking for the classroom and not knowing what the abbreviations GSR, SR and CR stood for. After getting into class, I saw the first of many professors that I would encounter in my SMU journey, Professor Jason Woodard.

1. Are the words in bold correctly used?
2. Do I need to place quote marks for the abbreviations.
3. Are there any other errors in the sentences?

Thanks in advance.

1. first class at SMU. IS 101, usually, unless courses at SMU were indicated without the space. Otherwise, congratulations.
2. No.
3. a. "...because I was threading through traffic in the morning, got lost while looking for the classroom and not knowing what the abbreviations..."
Poor parallelism. Better to say:

...because I had to thread through traffic... got lost... and did not know...

b. "first of many professors that I would encounter in my SMU journey, Professor Jason Woodard"... repetition. Better alternatives:

...first of many instructors that I would encounter in my SMU journey, Professor Jason Woodard...
...first of many professors that I would encounter in my SMU journey, Dr. Jason Woodard...

You may also want to replace the comma after "journey" with a dash (--) or a colon (the spoken pause seems a little long for a comma):

...in my SMU journey -- Professor Jason Woodard. Or ...in my SMU journey: Professor Jason Woodard. But if you really like the comma, keep it.

Status
Not open for further replies.